See topic list or Ask a question

Madden Surname

I have been trying to do family history, and Madden seems to be hard to trace. I met a woman at a store the other day - she said she had just moved from a small town in county Cork. She said she knew a few Maddens in the area where she grew up. Any Maddens out there?

Stephen Madden
September 17, 2008 12:42PM

Madden is a name originally from somewhere in Galway.They were a minor Gaelic sept known as ó Madhihín.Anglisized as Madden.There was a split and some moved south to Limerick where they changed to ó Madhigáin.(Madigan).I know this because my grandfather was a Madigan from Patrickswell in Limerick.Hope this has been some small help to you.I know myself it is hard to find information about the name on the net. ádh mór ort.

deBúrca
September 29, 2008 04:22PM

I know family of the name Madden, i grew up with them, their parents originated from Ireland i could ask if u like x

teresa bellew
October 4, 2008 01:54PM

The Maddens originated from Co Galway and to this day there are many Madden families residing there. My own family own our original family land in Portumna co Galway. Maddens held what was known as a seat in the Galway area meaning that they held a position of authority.The O'Maddens were a branch of Uí Maine of East Galway whose territory crossed the Shannon into Offaly. Their chief was the recognised lord of the area for centuries. The Madden Motto is "With Chirst I will conquer", and "Propria virtute audax" - "Daring in the cause of virtue". Madden and O'Madden are both Irish patronymic names, Anglicized from the Gaelic O Madaidhin , which meant 'descendant of Madaidhin' whose name was derived from madadh = hound, mastiff. The name also means "Small Dog". Anyway - We Maddens are alive and well, hope this helps.

Cel
October 20, 2008 09:05PM

I am looking for traces of Madden ancestors.

I am a 3rd great grand-dughter of one Bernard Madden, born c 1807. My 3rd Great Grandfather married a woman called Rose (Coler?), born c 1812.

My 3rd GGM Rose immigrated to Australia on the "James Baines" in 1854 from Liverpool. My 2nd GGM and her two brothers were also on the Clipper, when it left Liverpool.

Where did these ancestors of mine come from before embarking at Liverpool?

Can anyone help?

I only have the below information on my relatives, which is from an Australian website, which foucus on Madden immigrants.

Bernard 01 MADDEN (B ca 1807,Ireland) married Rose ..(Coler ?)(B ca 1812)
Rose is listed as reaching Vic in the "James Baines" , Oct 1855, with 3 chn.
Rose was assisted to TAS in 1855 on the City of Hobart with the 3 children listed below.
Bernard died 30 Jul 1896 aged 89. Rose died 26 Feb 1886 .
They are buried in R/C Cty , Fingal , Launceston .
Known children :
Daniel B ca 1840
Peter B ca 1843
Rose B ca 1845 Quee ? Married Henry FORD (aged 21) on 29 Jun 1863
at Fingal,Tas.
She died in 1876 aged 29 in Vic.

Joanne
November 1, 2008 02:04AM

There is a hamlet called Madden, northwest of Calgary, Alberta named after an early and prominent rancher called Bernard Madden who arrived in the area in 1876.

Michele
December 17, 2008 03:03PM

where are you from Stephen Madden? I have been doing some research into it and have only found minimal information

S. Madden
January 12, 2009 08:12AM

I have been trying to find where my great-grandfather came from in Ireland. His name was John Madden and I believe he came over around 1848 and settled in Toledo Ohio. He married Bridget McDonough in 1852, also from Ireland. The family has been trying for years to locate the county in Ireland but so far no luck. I did locate a death certificate of a Madden in Toledo which said his father was born in County Mead (which I believe they meant Meath) but looking at parrish records for 1801 in Meath there is only 1 Madden and that is a widow. My grandmother thought Galway but we have no evidence that supports that.

Shirley
January 16, 2009 10:32AM

Hi Joanne, I also am looking for Bernard Madden..I can help with their county home, it was Longford and Bernard married Rose O'Donnell and had 8 children, the three you listed above did re-unite with the convict Bernard in Tasmania..he was actually tried in west meath...i have his convict details if you're interested..

irene
February 1, 2009 08:28PM

sorry i didn't make it plain that their origins are longford, Ireland...not longford, tasmania...

irene
February 10, 2009 07:30PM

Hiya, my name is hannah madden my grandad was called robert madden and my great grandfather was called peter madden. My family live in scotland.My granddad didnt like being associated with irish because there was alot of hatred towards them by the scottish. I love being desended from ireland and hope to trace back more family members.

Hannah madden
February 15, 2009 04:31AM

I have been told that all the Maddens in around Limerick are descended from one man.A John Madden who came down from Galway in the mid 17th century,This was during the building of the canals.He settled in an area by Plassy House, now the site of the university of limerick.I believe he had 14 sons.
Glenamaddy(the glen of the Maddens) in county Galway I think is the area where the Maddens came from.

Joe Madden
February 16, 2009 12:56PM

I am looking for my family John madden from county Meath born around 1837 married a women named Mary moved to Liverpool about 1950's had a daughter called Catherine who married a Joseph Hickey any help is grateful thanks

John Madden
March 1, 2009 07:38PM

Hi All!

I am David Madden and I am in the UK. Until recently we knew very little about our family history, apart from the fact that my father and his parents were in the London area. Dad (Paul) has managed to get back through to the Census so far and it appears the family line is still in that sort of area - however not all of the data through the line ties in. It's interesting to find other Madden's who find that information isn't that easy to locate! smiling smiley It appears that we've hit a bit of a wall at the 1841 census where we have Daniel Madden who apparently married Elizabeth (possibly Elizabeth Houson). If anyone has anything lining up with Lambeth or the London area we'd be very interested to know! I am sincerely hoping to find a line back to Ireland somewhere along the way!

David.

David Madden
March 17, 2009 12:49PM

hi Shirley.
I have only just started trying to find out about my ancestors,with not much luck.Its not as easy as i thought it would be.
just read your post,about there only being one Madden in meath.Thats not correct because my Grandparents,BRIAN and ELIZABETH came from Naven in meath in the 1930's.They had children,called PATRICK(my father),BERNARD,BRIGETTE,ROSE,MICHEAL.
some of whom are still in ireland,in DUNDALK .
Hope this as helped.

Rosina Madden

Rosina
March 22, 2009 03:59PM

To Joanne re Bernard Madden,County Longford. Bernard was tried for sheep stealing at Westmeath April 1848, sentenced to seven years, transported to Tasmania per "Blemheim" arriving 31st October 1851. Bernard spent two years in gaol or on a hulk moored in the Thames before being transported. (Have more if you want it)Rose Madden wife of Bernard made an appeal on 17th October 1850. Bernard was age 40 Rose arrived in Tasmania with three children (as you say) Daniel, Peter and Rose. Rose senior stated they had 8 chidren so five ust have been left back in Ireland. Bernard and Rose are my wifes maternal g,g,grandparents. My wifes mothers maiden name was Ford, and her story was a Thomas Ford/Forth a convict sentenced to seven years in 1821 for horse stealing ( the family story was he stole the rope and the horse was on the other end)popular story by many. Wifs father was a Thomas Henry Ford also his father was Henry Thomas Ford who I believe married Bernards daughter Rose, Have not found marriage certificate, clues are Henry had a son named Daniel,Wifes mother had a step sister named Rose father Thomas Henry

Des
March 24, 2009 08:23PM

Hi, my grandfather was called Peter Madden,he was born in Belfast, Ireland, he lived in Canada for a short time as far as I know before coming home and getting married to my grandmother (Rosaleen Phoenix). He had three brothers, two called Vincent and Gerald who moved to London in the 1950's and one called David who moved to Australia in the 1920's. Anyone with any information about any of the above mentioned people please get in touch.

Thanks,

Cinta.

cinta
April 2, 2009 09:37PM

Hi,

I'm also really interested in finding out more about my name. So far, I only know back to my Grandfather, a Sonny Madden, who was Irish. He married a Mary Sutherland and they lived in central Scotland. They had four children, Connie Madden (Now McGovern, Terry Madden (now Goldie), Marian Madden (now Duffy) and my father, Kevan Madden who was born 1968. I'm not quite sure when my Grandfather was from in Ireland, but I will find out from my Nana.

If anybody can help. it'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sarah Madden
April 23, 2009 04:47PM

Hi John

I'm originally from Liverpool and when I was little my Doctor's name was John Madden. Unfortunately he passed away in around 1975 in his surgery in Galloway Road,Waterloo,Liverpool. There was also a family of Hickeys in Waterloo. I am looking for the son Joseph Hickey.

Wendy
May 31, 2009 06:30AM

Hi all, my name is Vicki Madden, I'm from Tasmania. I believe my GG grandfather was Bernard Madden and married Rose. They were from Meath, Ireland. I don't know much more but I just found out that Errol Flynn's Grandfather was a William Madden so who knows - we could be related to Errol! How cool would that be. Any more info on Bernard would be appreciated. My father's name was Jack Madden (John).

Vicki
June 13, 2009 02:34AM

Wow the Maddens are hard to locate. I live in the United States My Great Great Great Great grandfather was Michael Madden born in Ireland abt 1804. He came to America in 1827. There was another Madden on the ship with him a yr older named Lawrence. It's my Belief they were related possibly brothers Lawrence was a yr older. They got on the boat in Galway. I have been unable to find any other info on this grandfather. If you know anything get in touch. Good Luck Everyone. Brandy

Brandy
June 13, 2009 10:59PM

Hi John,

If you're looking for a Joseph and Catherine Hickey, there is a couple based in Ireland that are Directors of the 'Pearse Trust'. Google and see what you come up with. Good luck.

Wendy
June 20, 2009 02:02AM

Howdy:
This is one more attempt-------.

My great grandfather, Patrick Michael Madden, came from "County Galway" to New Brunswick, Canada in 1843. He came with his father, William Madden and his mother, Ellen Donlan.PATRICK had several children, including William Joseph and Patrick Montgomery. Patrick owned a large farm in Iowa.Patrick married Ann McManus, daughter of Dorothea Montgomery of Enniskillen. William Joseph and Patrick Michael moved to Oregon in about 1919.
Does anyone relate any of this information?

Bob Lenneville
Tualatin, Oregon

Robert Madden Lenneville
June 30, 2009 12:12PM

Hi, Maybe I may be able to help you, I am researching my material family Bobbett of Co. Meath, Ireland. I have two Madden ladies married into the Bobbett clan.
Anne Madden married John Bobbett on June 27th 1842, They had one son William Bobbett and Anne Bobbett nee Madden died 1843/1844, Balbriggin, Co. Dublin.

2. In 1904 Leonora Madden married Joseph S. Bobbett at St. Mary's Church, Haddington Road, Dublin. Leonora was youngest daughter of John Madden of Oughterard, Co. Galway.Joseph and Leonora have living realatives.Leonora Bobbett nee Madden died Oct. 19th 1942.
If I can be of anymore help please contact me, at Ourrootsundertherock@eircom.net
Mary O'Connor

Mary O'Connor
July 14, 2009 06:44AM

Find it fascinating to read all about the Madden's. My husband, David's family are Maddens. His great grandfather was John Madden who married Bridget Gallagher. His grandfather was Frank P. Madden who married Mary Loretta Ryan. They lived in Sussex, New Brunswick, Canada. Reading all your notes are intersesting as in our family we have a Robert, David and a Hannah. Going to Ireland in 2 weeks and hoping to find more info on the Maddens. Nancy

Nancy
July 19, 2009 07:38AM

My husband's great grandfather was John Madden who married Bridget Gallagher. Their son Frank P. Madden married Mary Loretta Ryan. John and Mary Lived in Sussex, New Brunswick, Canada. Mary's great grandfather was Charles Ryan. Interesting how the Madden names go round. My husband is David, we have a son Robert and a granddaughter Hannah. If anyone has any connections to the above Madden's would love to hear from you. Going to Ireland in 2 weeks and hoping to gather more info.

nancy
July 19, 2009 07:44AM

Intrested in finding out more regarding Bernard Madden, I believe this to be my great great great grandfather, any info would be gratefully appreciated.

helen
July 26, 2009 06:41AM

I have just traced my family tree back to 1849 Co Carlow, Ireland

Allan Madden
Mary Ann Dudgeon
Married October 1849

May have moved to Glasgow 1850

Allan's father's name was Bernard Madden.

This is all I have so far to go on, any information would be fantastic and I will keep this thread updates as I go.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Paul
July 27, 2009 11:59AM

i am trying to find a peter madden i have been looking for along time he is old friend and he new me as sandra brady, we met at about 16 years old and then met up 20 years later and now it is 23 years again and i would love to find him he lived in enfield england did live in parsonage lane then he was at curzon avenue where he had kids with heather then they split he married again but dont know who, and was single again lived at roeden aveue enfield middx then i saw him twice to chat then i lost him again dont know where he is i would love to see him again just to say hi and see how he is and family if he married again we are very old mates if anyone knows of him please contact me my mail is sand59feb@hotmail.co.uk i will be so gratefull for any info i know this site is for tracing back but in away so is this please help, if you can thanks sandy

peter
August 14, 2009 07:41PM

Could those with information on Bernard Madden, transported to Tasmania as a Convict for Sheep rustling, please contact me via my Email of "joannef@spin.net.au".

Joanne
August 18, 2009 01:17AM

Hi John

I used to live in Galloway road in Waterloo Liverpool and our family doctor was doctor madden his surgery was at number 1 Galloway road and I believe he was married to a lady I think was called sonia. I also went to school with a boy called liam hicky the family I believe still live in waterloo.

Shaun
September 12, 2009 07:02PM

hi all,

my name is amy madden and i am looking into my family background, up to now i have not found much as Madden seems to be a pretty tough name. all i know up to now is my grandad was called thomas madden we think he was born in 1907ish?? and had a brother called michael madden whowas born in 1914 and was killed in belfast in 1980. my dad is called richard madden.does anybody have any more information on this??? i know i have not left much but this is all i can seem to find. thank you

amy x

amy
September 19, 2009 04:43PM

Hi,

For those related to 3rd GGF Bernard and 3rd GGM Rose,
here is a link to a picture of his gravestone in Tasmania:
[eheritage.statelibrary.tas.gov.au]

Joanne Fletcher

Joanne Fletcher
September 23, 2009 08:40PM

I am interested in tracing John O'Connor who married Ellen Brosnan. They had 11 children and John was a land surveyor. He died in Belfast in 1893. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks, Marie

Marie
October 13, 2009 12:33PM

Hi my name is nick,I have no idea who my grandparents or father was. I allso from my mothers side only know of her. I would dearly love to find some info on my fathers side of the family. really anything would be nice.His name is johnny rufus madden born I belive in alabama (USA) had at least 1 brother.

Nicholas madden
October 24, 2009 05:48AM

Dad was born in 1920 by the way.

nicholas madden
October 24, 2009 05:50AM

Tracing the Madden family from Donore / Sheephouse Co Meath Ireland, Peter Madden married Anne ? 3 sons that I know about so far. James B1842 wed Annie Carrick 1869 in Drogheda. James D1891. Peter Madden & John Madden. All buried in Donore Co Meath. All from a family of Stone masons. Have traced James & Annies family to current day. Would love help filling in the Past.

Paughanstown
November 17, 2009 05:21PM

Tracing the Madden family from Donore / Sheephouse Co Meath Ireland, Peter Madden married Anne ? 3 sons that I know about so far. James B1842 wed Annie Carrick 1869 in Drogheda. James D1891. Peter Madden & John Madden. All buried in Donore Co Meath. All from a family of Stone masons. Have traced James & Annies family to current day. Would love help filling in the Past. paughanstown@gmail.com

Paughanstown
November 17, 2009 05:23PM

Recently while researching my family roots I was able to acquire the last will and testment of my Great Grandfather Thomas Alexander. Thomas came from Scotland and was attached to the Jamcian Constabulary in then the British West Indies (1919) In the will he mentioned his sister-in-law Eugenie Fleuette Nunes Madden. Eugenie married a Madden in Jamaica, Bridish west Indies.

Marilyn
November 17, 2009 05:40PM

Hi..to all those searching for bernard madden, convict to tasmania from ireland, just an update of further info re their roots, I have found they hail from west meath (bordering Longford) their church was in tubberclare and bernard married Rose Cole/Coleo different spellings on the birth certificates of four of the children baptised at tubberclare RC church..interesting to note that the sheep he stole belonged to ned coles (maybe turned in by the wife's relatives), if anyone is interested in maddens and they know where they originated from google irish family history foundation, you can search for free but if you want to view it costs, however it's a very comprehensive site for irish records..I now know the names of three of the children left behind if anyone's interested...Irene

irene
November 30, 2009 08:22PM

my names michael madden,LIVE IN LONDON....my family are from ireland....CORK CITY.....

madz
December 15, 2009 08:45AM

my great gran father was patrick joseph madden born sydney nsw
i am trying to find some info on michael madden born co limerick ireland abt 1835,, came to australia married mary t duggan 1862 nsw australia , had 11 children
his father name was michael also married a ctherine o halloran co limerick ireland abt 1930
would love to hear about the maddens of limerick ireland
thank you

noela
December 19, 2009 01:33PM

I'm a Madden from Dublin. My Dad was originally from Co. Roscommon though. Not too sure about any further back than that, but his people seem to be scattered around the West a lot; Galway, Mayo, and Roscommon.

John Madden
December 19, 2009 03:26PM

My name is Bernard Maddden and i live in Galway Ireland .My father was Martin Madden (14.1.1914 - 20.10.2007) He had 2 brothers Dannie who emigrated to USA New York, in 1927 and lived to be 100 years.His other brother John lived in Meath and died a bachelor without issue. Their father was Brian Madden and died in 1937 from a septic ulcer.He had during his life travelled over and back to the USA on a number of occasions mainly to New York and also to Butte in Montana as had his father before him. His name was Daniel and i have seen a photo of him driving a team of horses pulling a huge wheat harvestinbg machine on the plains of Montana circa 1870. I have a lot of cousins in the USA , mostly in new york , Brian , Michael, DANNY,FRANK. IF you google me you will see my contact details as i am a Senior Counsel in IRELAND.We are originally from near Glenamaddy CO. GALWAY.

Bernard Madden
December 28, 2009 02:48PM

trying to trace any family of thomas madden who emigrated to usa around 1929. he married helen moran. had 4 or 5 children... tommy joe and sheila are names of a son and daughter.thomas madden was my mothers uncle. patricia, e mail.. odhranpatricia@hotmail.com

patricia horan
December 28, 2009 05:26PM

This would be for Nancy from Sussex,New Brunswick,Canada, My Great -Great Grandfather was John
Sylvester Madden , who was born in Galway, on Feb 29th,1833. He married a Lady ,my Great Great Grandmother, Bridget Gallagher, who was born in Donegal Settlement, which is now called Irishtown,in Westmoreland County.(MONCTON,Ncool smiley They had 10 children, my Grandfather,was the second eldest male. John Louis
Madden. Their were three brothers who came across the gulf in a sea of foam. Two brothers stayed in New Brunswick, in the Studholme,kings county,area.
Today it's close to Doherty hill and Poley Mountain.
The area is know as Waterford, and not far from there
another area called Madden's Flatts.They were hard workers,cutting wood,clearing stumps,raising Mink. They saved enough to buy a farm in Smith's Creek.

My Quest is this, I can't find out where John Slyvester Madden was born. I have had zero success,I've been to the National Archives in Dublin,I have been to Galway, no irish luck yet.

Land grants:
Patrick buys 100 acres in 1858,(Waterford,nb)
In 1862 DanielMadden (WATERFord,nb) got 100 acres,In 1873,my Great Grand Father John Slyvester Madden, 91 acres (WATERFORD,nb)
These are the three brothers,

Gallaghers.

They were from Ireland, Francis was born in IRELAND, 1820, his wife Mary was born in 1825 in Ireland. They had seven children, Mary,jane,dennis,francis junior,rosa,bridget and margaret.

I know that Bridget Gallagher was born in Canada, from my Great Aunt Sarah A Maddens Birth Certificate.

John Slyvester Madden and Bridget Gallagher were married in Moncton,NB, on November 24th,1859.

So if this helps anyone else out their please get back to me. I'm willing to do random acts of kindness
if someone from Ireland will do the same.

email is loudatlantic@eastlink.ca

Cheers

Patrick Madden

Patrick Madden
January 1, 2010 03:55PM

I am also having no luck! My ancestor was Patrick Joseph Madden, born about 1871. He was a constable in the Royal Irish Constabulary and married Mary Ann Garvey of Dundalk, Co. Louth. They were married in Belfast (where he was posted at the time) in 1903. He was originally from somewhere in Co. Galway (per his RIC enlistment). I know he had siblings but do not know their names. Also don't know where in Galway he was born. Hope to find descendants of Patrick's siblings who are researching common ancestors.

It almost seems as though Madden ancestors don't want to be found as records of their existence are so hard to find!

Thanks for any help.

Laurie
January 7, 2010 10:27AM

i am very confused, as i put message on to find peter madden, and on the message part where it has part of sentance, it seems there are two replys one saying he worked at middelsex hospital in 19190,in the ... i cant get to the rest of that message and it does not tell you how to get to it, the same in the second message, but comes off another message about lamberth then goes on to say hi my grandfather was peter madden he lived in belfast then was single and was liveing at roedean avenue when i saw him, i dont know if that is part my message and part of the other person who was giving me info on him it is very confusing as i dont know how to get to that reply or who it is from so i cauld further my enquirey to find him please can you let me know what to do about this as it very frustrating as i think someone knows something about peter and but cant get any further with it please mail me i am sandra brady/ moynihan. my mail is sandy59feb@hotmail.co.uk please help the hospital one ends he worked in but does not tell me which part of the hospital there must be a way you can let me know thank you sandy waiting for mail soon i hope

madden
January 13, 2010 06:49PM

Regarding:
"Recently while researching my family roots I was able to acquire the last will and testment of my Great Grandfather Thomas Alexander. Thomas came from Scotland and was attached to the Jamcian Constabulary in then the British West Indies (1919) In the will he mentioned his sister-in-law Eugenie Fleuette Nunes Madden. Eugenie married a Madden in Jamaica, Bridish west Indies. "

Where was the above Eugenie Fleuette born.

My grandfather, Jeremie Fleuette married
My Grandmother, Eugenie (Turcotte) Fleuette, born in Canada 1873, Tingwick, Quebec. Died in Bellingham, Massachusetts 1953.

Jeremie was the only one in his family Fleuette.
All the others were Fluette.

Donald
January 15, 2010 12:48PM

hello everyone
My maiden name was madden so I've been looking for information about my family. Where i have run into trouble is tracing the maddens after the first Madden in my family that we know of came to the united states. His name was William Martin Madden. He would not tell his children where in Ireland he came from and any other information. All my family knows about the maddens are that some time around 1168 they split from the Kelly's but other then that i have no idea. anything would be a big help.

Stephanie
February 6, 2010 06:45PM

i am still looking for michael madden born 1830-5 came to australia abt 1850-9 married mary t duggan 1862 sydney nsw ,
would any one have a michael madden from st lenards sydney nsw , in their family
thank you

michael or mick
February 28, 2010 12:23PM

My gggrandfather was a Francis Madden (b. about 1828 and died 1892) who immigrated to the US around 1849 from Galway. I am interested to find out where exactly his family came from. His parents were George and Mary (O'Brien). They may have been from Roscommon but we have no proof. Francis Madden settled in Kingston, NY where he married Catherine Diamond. He was a contractor and owned stone quarries. His three children were George, Mary and Jane. I am descended from Mary, who married Stephen Conwell in 1905. She was born about 1870 and died 1925.

Laurie L.
March 11, 2010 12:31PM

my great grandfather was michael madden married to bridget kenney and their daughter (my grandmother) Nora (Dolly) Madden was Born in Ballymacward, County Galway, Ireland in 1904 and came to America as a teenager.

I am trying to look further!
Bridget

brydie
March 15, 2010 09:00PM

Hi,

Anyone have a Hannah Anne Madden in there tree, my GGG Grandmother Hannah Madden was born in Cork about 1820, at some point she moved and married Edward Crickmore, they had 5 children and she died in the Salford Workhouse, England.

This is all I know about Hannah as I'm unable to locate a Marriage Cert for her and Edward, been trying to locate them for years with no luck so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nari

Nari
March 27, 2010 09:10PM

Hello
Looking for the birth parents of Owen Madden born in Ireland ??? in 1722. Owen married Catherine Donaven in Boston Mass.in 1745,then moved to St.George,Maine.If anyone is interested I have over 1,000 pages of documentation on the linage of Owen Madden to date .Eric Madden maddendeceandants@comcast.net

Owen Madden (U.S.A)
April 3, 2010 10:27PM

Just wondering if anybody knows when the Maddens first came to the US and where at, NY possibly? My grandfather Robert Madden was from Pennsylvania (1934-2007) and his father was named William Madden. Don't know much other than that. I've heard there is a bunch of Madden's in Pennsylvania, anybody know how they all got there? Thanks.

Shane Madden
April 16, 2010 03:45AM

hi there,
my name is john madden.grandson of micheal (Mick) madden of grange co limerick my father's name is john (sean) madden my grandad micheal was married to margaret ryan and they had 11 kids which was called john madden, thresa madden, josie madden, philamena madden, anna madden, maraid madden, marie maddden, joe madden, donal madden, jim madden and francis madden.if anyone has any information please write
thank you
John Madden junior

john madden
April 24, 2010 10:35PM

To Patrick Madden

I tried your e-mail but wouldn't work. I believe that John Sylvester was born in Ireland. Check the 1851 New Brunswick census. Also according to Harry Madden, John's grandson he was born in believes in or around Galway. It sounds like your grandfather and Harry's father Frank were brother's. We thought that John had moved out of New Brusnwick as he is not listed on the 1911 New Brunswick census.

Nancy
(e-mail nancy.madden@nbed.nb.ca)

nancy
May 19, 2010 05:32PM

Need help. The story does John Madden born Ireland (don't know where or when) married in Ireland then(don't know to whom or when) for some unknown reason emigrated to Australia where he married(no proof found) Mary Ellen Humphries and father two sons before passing away in 1905.
According to letter written by Mary they married in Melbourne Australia but it was not legal because she found out that his wife back in Ireland was alive not deceased as she believed.
I don't expect anyone to be able to respond to this little story but stranger things have happened.
Only today after many years of searching have we found out Great Grandfathers name "JOHN"and the year of his death from a letter obtained through "Freedom of Information".
Thanks for taking the time to read my story

Shellie
Western Australia

Shellie
May 27, 2010 02:10AM

Hi,I'm an Irish man living in Armagh,if any of the Maddens are visting the northen part of Ireland, give me an email and I will show you about for free. peter_madden@hotmail.co.uk

Peter Madden
June 8, 2010 10:16AM

Hi, I am trying to find out what happened to my grandfather, William Leonard Madden. He was born in abt 1922 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His Fathers name was William Leonard Madden and Mother Mary Cecilia Turner. He went to work one day sometime in 1953 and was never seen of again. I have exhausted so many options, but you never know your luck. We live in Australia, however he could have moved to the states. Thanks

Celeste
June 11, 2010 04:36AM

Hi,
I am looking for the location of my family roots in Galway. I have a great-uncle Martin who had a farm that my parents visited when they were living in the 1960's(I believe). He was alive and well then but since my parents are both dead now and would be in the 90's if still alive, I am sure that Uncle Martin must be deceased. I would love to know where that farm was so that my husband and I could visit it when we are in Ireland in Oct. 2010. I would at least like to know where in the county of Galway the family was from.

Marilyn
June 15, 2010 02:01PM

MY NAME IS PETER MADDEN ORIGINALLY FROM JAMAICA WEST INDIES ,MY GREAT GRAND FATHER WAS JOHN MADDEN ,MARRIED TO ROSE-ANNE MADDEN ,THEY HAD MY GRAND FATHER ERNEST OCTAVIOUS MADDEN IN 1891 IN MANCHESTER JAMAICA WEST INDIES .ERNEST HAD FROM MY MEMORY SIX SONS TREVOR WAS MY FATHER BORN IN 1933,ERNEST MET MY GRAND MOTHER ESIE MAIR OF BARBARA HALL ST.ELIZABETH JAMAICA WEST INDIES AND THEY TOGETHER HAD MY DAD TREVOR AND WILMOT (HARRY ) MADDEN .kINDLY PLACE YOUR IMPUT IF YOU COULD FIND WHERE MY GREAT GRAND FATHER JOHN MADDEN ORIGINATED FROM TO JAMAICA AND ALSO MY GREAT GRAND MOTHER ROSE-ANNE.
PETER MADDEN SR
MROPERATOR2000@YAHOO.COM

PETER MADDEN SR
July 24, 2010 06:50AM

Does anyone have more info on the Maddens of Frederick, Maryland? I am John Madden from South Carolina and have traced my father's family back to my 7G Grandfather, John Madden, b. 1685 in Frederick, MD. who married Katherin Flanakin of St. Pauls Parrish, MD in 1707. I seek further generations to establish a point and time of imigration to the US and origin in Ireland or possibly even to Scotland.

John Madden
July 24, 2010 03:23PM

Hi All,
My husbands gggg grandfather was Bernard Madden, Bernard's daughter Rose married Henry Thomas Ford in Tasmania. I have hit a brick wall with Henry. If anyone knows his birthpalce/date I would be very appreciative. glynis.ford@stlaurence.org.au
We believe it may have been Longford Ireland but have not been able to confirm.

Glynis

Glynis Ford
August 1, 2010 06:57AM

My G-Grandfather was James Madden born 1848 & lived in Elfeet, County Longford. Died 1930. Had a sister Annie who died 1920. James was a farmer and married Mary Killian in 1882. They had three children. Mary, Thomas and Catherine.

Michael Madden was James father and he died in 1886 in Elfeet. His tombstone says he was from Ballinahinch? I would appreciate it if anyone with any info on Michael Madden please let me know here or at kk1632@optonline.net

Ken
August 5, 2010 05:02PM

i am sandra brady still would lve to contact peter madden lives in enfield london his daughter did contact me but still did not let me talk to him so upset about that as been looking for long while so if anyne does know him he comes from enfield and still lives here as far as i know his dad was in the prnt news papes and he was to many years ago his wife is a nurse at chase farm i only want to say hi thats all thanks sandy

none
October 10, 2010 08:10PM

8 GENERATIONS

OWEN MADDEN (1722-AFT.1800)
LIVED IN IRELAND,MASSACHUSETTS,MAINE & CANADA

JOHN MADDEN (1755-1841) MAINE

OWEN MADDEN (1801-1860) MAINE

EDWIN MADDEN (1828-1911) MAINE

MARTIN MADDAN (1869-1952) MAINE

LAWRENCE MADDAN (1920-) MAINE

RICHARD MADDEN (1942-) MAINE

ERIC MADDEN (1967-) CONNECTICUT

LOOKING FOR THE PARENTS OF OWEN MADDEN BORN IN IRELAND IN 1722.I HAVE OVER THIRTY YEAR OF RESEARCH ON THE MADDEN FAMILY. maddendescendants@yahoo.com

Eric Madden USA

Owen Madden
October 29, 2010 08:00PM

So crazy to think that somewhere along the line all of us Maddens are related, Best sirname ever.

lee t. madden
November 15, 2010 11:38AM

Relatives in Toronto, Ontario are tying together family tree. Any Maddens living in UK related to the Madden family from Glasgow, Scotland. William John Madden (originally from Galway, born around 1879) married Annie McPherson (born 1899) from Scotland in Glasgow. They lived in Glasgow and had one son Charles Mcpherson Madden, born 1920, who married Elizabeth Townsley and they had 3 daughters and 3 sons. Contact nell.hamilton@rocketmail.com -Thanks.

Nell
December 2, 2010 06:08AM

In response to Shellie from Western Australia. My grandfather was Keith Madden and his father was John Madden. I think my granfather grew up in South Australia. There was some issues regarding the birth od my grandfather and I am wondering if it relates to your information of John's first wife still being alive when he remarried. Interesting!! If you have any more information i would love to hear from you. cheers Lisa

Lisa Livori nee Madden
December 25, 2010 06:34PM

Hi all, I live in Liverpool, i was wandering, does anyone know how many maddens are left in liverpool, and when the first maddens left ireland for the U.K. Also, how many maddens are chatholic and how many protestant, this particular family in liverpool are protestant,it would be interesting to see who is which.

Simon madden
January 3, 2011 06:36PM

The Madden name originates with an Ulster prince- Maduadhan Mac Hugh, who reigned in south Antrim in the early 10th Century. Details of this can be found in the Annals of Ulster (CELT website has full text). A second prince of the name was deposed arounf AD 924, and fled to Ui Maine, Galway, where he married a Kelly princess and founded the southern line. The Madden's of Ulster seem to be descended from the first of the name, and still hail from South Antrim, mostly around Toomebridge.The sept was indeed minor in the south, but descended from Dal Riada chiefs, nevertheless.

Mark madden
January 11, 2011 11:11AM

I am from Missouri and I am trying to find information on my Grandfathers family. I understand that the family originated in Ireland, however I have not been able to track our lineage back any further than my Great Grandfather.
Grand fathers name was Nicholas James Madden born in 1921, married Violet Headrick. Great Grand fathers name was also Nicholas James Madden, married Jocie Waller.
If anyone has any information further back it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Pamela
February 15, 2011 11:56AM

John Madden from South Carolina-you and I are on the same track. I found that John who married Katherin was baptized in Dublin July 20, 1685 at St. Catherine's, his parents were John and Mary Madden. Pls contact me at macalugirl@yahoo.com

ash
February 22, 2011 02:54PM

Hi, my name is Martina, I live in Belfast and I am researching my paternal Madden family tree and have quite a bit of info that is correct but my earliest dates need confirmation. My Maddens have lived between Belfast and Liverpool since the mid 1800s.

Great Great Great Granda Edward Madden born early 1800s in Ireland. Dont know who he married.

Great Great Granda William Madden born 1847 (possibly born in Armagh), if not Armagh then Belfast. He married Mary Anne Gallacher/Gallagher in Belfast in 1866. They moved between Belfast and liverpool.
Their children were:
Bernard
Rose Ellen
William
James
First 4 born in Ireland, others in Liverpool
Ann
Cornelius
Patrick Joseph
Mary
Henry
Peter

Great Granda Bernard Madden born 1865 Belfast. He married Catherine Gracey in Belfast in 1887. They moved between Belfast and Liverpool. Catherine moved to Belfast about 1901 and died there in 1929.
Their children were:
Hannah (Belfast)
Mary A (Belfast)
These children born in Liverpool
Charlotte
Ann
Rose Ellen
James (my granda)
William
Thomas (Belfast)
Sarah (Belfast)

Granda James Madden born 1899 West Derby. He married Mary Rose Donnelly in Belfast in 1925. His family remained in Belfast.

If u can help be go back further with my tree or fill out the info I have then I would really appreciate it and If I can help you then I will try.
Would love to get new info!!!!!!

Beano
February 27, 2011 03:23PM

Hi all. My names Bernard madden I live in Liverpool. My dad was Bernard and this names runs thru the family for generations. I only have limited details of my strain of the family but willing to share it. Contact me on my mobile (text first please) 07736048332

Bernard madden
March 17, 2011 11:50AM

Good Morning All!

I am searching for information in regards to my Grandmother, Edith Madden (later Pryce) that arrived in the US from Colon, Panama in 1918. She passed away when my father was a toddler (1932). Her father was James Alexander Madden. On the Ellis Island website's ships manifest it says that her mother's name was Helma Ferrin however on her marriage and death certificates it says that her mother's name was Margaret Murray. It also says that she was coming to stay with her brother in law, Daniel Williams in Brooklyn. In addition, on the Ellis Island site it states that she was born in Port Antonio, Jamaica. On her marriage and death certificates it states that she was born in the Canal Zone. Crazy confusing! She had one brother that I am aware of (Clifford) but he passed away in the early 1980's. If anyone has any information that can possibly help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Paula Bremmer
March 30, 2011 06:37AM

Hi there, I am Jackie nee Madden. My dad Bernard Cox Madden was from Dundee (born 1912 - died 1997). He was very elusive about his family. I believe he was the youngest of 7 brothers. The family were involved in the jute industry. Dad moved to Coventry about 1956. Is there anyone out there that I may be related to ? I have no names, dates etc to even start a search.Thanks in anticipation.

Jackie
April 4, 2011 10:37AM

yoo im a madden

smily
April 8, 2011 08:38AM

I am from north east galway. Names Daniel, Bernard, John and Martin have run in every generation. My grand uncle Martin Madden married Mary Madden in Plains Montana in 1915. Kilkerrin co Galway was the home of my ancestors for 200 years. I have distant relations in uk, New Zealand and usa.

P Madden
April 26, 2011 04:06PM

Hi,

I have been trying to get info on the Maddens forever. I keep hitting a wall!
My earliest know relative was called,"Grelich Madden". My understanding is he was an Idian scout on the "Trail of tears", and married a Cherokee
Indian Princess. My problem is that all of the older relatives have passed, and there isn't much info available to me. Maybe someone can help me????

Sherry
May 1, 2011 12:50PM

Hi,

I have been trying to get info on the Maddens forever. I keep hitting a wall!
My earliest know relative was called,"Grelich Madden". My understanding is he was an Idian scout on the "Trail of tears", and married a Cherokee
Indian Princess. My problem is that all of the older relatives have passed, and there isn't much info available to me. Maybe someone can help me????
sherry-madden@att.net

Sherry
May 1, 2011 12:52PM

I am a Madden. I live in North Wales.
I am doing a project on my Surname too so I would appreciate more info - lol
many Thanks

Dewi Madden
May 4, 2011 10:38AM

tesee==here was a madden who was al caponse minder came from liverpool funny old world he used iron bar in newspaper owne he married the lord mayors dauter him and oooooo was able to leave the mob untouched

pedro
May 12, 2011 02:44PM

Howdy:

Hello Robert...

Your GGGF and his son and my GGF settled Madden's

Flatts in New Brunswick. Your GGF has the next patch of land next to my family of Maddens. Their is also a Patrick Madden in Irishtown,NB . A Michael madden in 1858, in Charlottetown, PEI.

PM

This is one more attempt-------.

My great grandfather, Patrick Michael Madden, came from "County Galway" to New Brunswick, Canada in 1843. He came with his father, William Madden and his mother, Ellen Donlan.PATRICK had several children, including William Joseph and Patrick Montgomery. Patrick owned a large farm in Iowa.Patrick married Ann McManus, daughter of Dorothea Montgomery of Enniskillen. William Joseph and Patrick Michael moved to Oregon in about 1919.
Does anyone relate any of this information?

Bob Lenneville
Tualatin, Oregon

Robert Madden Lenneville
June 30, 2009 10:12AM

Pat Madden
May 15, 2011 04:00PM

Looking for information on a Thomas Madden born abt. 1828. His family immigrated from Ireland mid 1830's to Guelph, Ontario, Ottawa Canada. They then moved on to Watertown, Minnesota. Thomas married a Mary Noonan and had a slew of kids. He had a brother named John and Micheal. Maybe a sister named Nancy (Agnes, Ann). He said he either lived near the river Shannon or Ballyshannon. His father was either a Thomas or John.
His male children names are John, Thomas, Patrick, Frank, Joseph Charles, William, Martin, James
I'm trying to find orgin of Madden family. I think he used the name Thomas O Madden.
Debi Madden
debimad@aol.com

Thomas Madden
June 2, 2011 07:46PM

Hello, my name is David Stephen Madden, i am 53 years old, born in 1957 in merthyr tydfil south wales, i have a wife called catherine alice madden, i have children a boy called jonathan david madden aged 17, and a girl called kirsty alice madden aged 14, i have two brothers:
Michael John Madden Aged 58, he has children a boy called stephen anthony madden aged 37 and a girl called michelle leanne madden aged 34, i have another brother Colin Anthony Madden Aged 52,he has children two boys called daniel colin madden aged 19 and nicholas john madden aged 18, My Father was Raymond Stanley Madden, he past away august 6th 2000, aged 71, his father was Michael Madden aswell, he went home to ireland for an holiday and past away out there when my father was 2 and we don't know nothing about him at all so if anybody knows any information please can you get in touchh,
davidmadden74@yahoo.co.uk xxxx it would be an honour if you lot out there know anything xxxx

David Stephen Madden
June 4, 2011 11:35AM

Hello, my name is Eric Dana Christensen. My birth name is William John Madden. I was born December 5, 1956. Born in San francisco Ca. My parents kept me a year before giving me away. I dont have any info on my birth parents. Please if anybody out there has any information or can help me find my birth relatives. Message me at Sofinaa143@yahoo.com

William John Madden
June 7, 2011 03:18AM

Hello, I'm looking for information on my great grandfather Michael Madden married to Sarah. They emigrated to Pennsylvania from Ireland, perhaps Cork. They had a son named Michael (and perhaps other children too) born in 1870 in America. This son was my grandfather who married Celia Morrissette and who died in Canada in 1945. I have lots of information about these grandparents, but can find nothing about Michael and Sarah from Ireland. Does anyone know anything? Email me at laverneadams@hotmail.com

Laverne
June 11, 2011 01:07AM

Hello, I am trying to find any info Alex and Lena Madden They had two sons name Jim and William Madden..Alex would be my ggg grandfather. Their decedents currently live in the Hamilton Ohio area. I need their origins badly so i can find out where i come from...thanks jason.smolowitz@gmail.com

Jason Smolowitz
June 16, 2011 10:49PM

I have just picked up our family tree research again and am interested in any info relating to John Madden born 1808 in Meath. He was transported as a convict on Captain Cook around 1832/33. Records I have is that his family lived in the Yass area in NSW Australia between abt 1850 and 1900. His daughter Bridget born 1857 is my GGGmother and married Francis Walsh in 1877 in Yass. Any info would be great. lesnpenny@bigpond.com

Penny
June 17, 2011 08:30PM

more maddens here from south wales yes we are all irish by decent and lots of us seem to have joined the forces i did my dad and his brothers did his father and his brothers did to so hello madden clan

lee madden
June 29, 2011 04:50PM

Hi there whanau (Maori for family), I'm in New Zealand, age 54. My father is George Aaron Madden, his brothers John, Jack, Henry, Roy, their father was John, second wife Eva Stanway, not sure of 1st wife name. As I understand things G/dad came out from county Cork (not sure, family rifts n all, aah what it is to be Irish haha). Have been given a family crest with Falcon claws into a Goose on it's back and the moto "Christo Duce (Ouce?) Bincamus", any input would be appreciated. Rumor has it that our history was destroyed in battle that destryed the family church and all records therein, County Cork.
Cheers all, Bruce.

Bruce John
July 9, 2011 03:41AM

Hi,

I am a Madden descended from John Madden born 1810 in county Galway. John emigrated to the US in 1834, and then brought his fiancee Cecelia Dwyer over. They settled in West Virginia. His parents were William Madden & Mary Brennan. He came from the parish of "Kiltormer by the gates of big Bellview" according to some records I have.

Around Kiltormer, a bit west of Laurencetown in Galway there is actually a town called Maddenstown.

I've hit deadends on getting more info on William & his parents.

Colleen
colleenmadden@hotmail.com

Colleen Madden
July 9, 2011 11:05PM

Hi Irene,

I am interested in what you have to say about Bernard being from the Meath / Longford area. The "cencis" records that are still in existance regarding land, show a Bernard Madden along with some others in Co Meath, but also that there are records of him in Co Longford. So Rose's family "did him in"? The plot thickens.

I am still trying to prove that Kathleen Avivian Ford, born in Fingal, Tasmania was born to Henry Ford and Rose Ford, nee Madden (Bernard Madden's line). The registry records in Australia commence in Tasmania for Kathleen Avivan's birth, her marriage in South Australia, and her death in Victoria.

I can find a few descendents of Bernard's children in Australia, commencing with Tasmanian records. In the Victorian cemetary that my GGF David Melville Fletcher is burried, there is a Henry Ford, but I have not proven the link to Bernard Madden or Kathleen Avivian Ford.

Can you please Email me at joannef@spin.net.au ?

Joanne Fletcher
July 22, 2011 11:23PM

Hi Jackie,in reply to you looking for your father ,i may have some information for you.If you can give me an e mail address i will get back to you .

Donna
August 18, 2011 01:58PM

Hi Jackie,in reply to you looking for your father ,i may have some information for you.If you can give me an e mail address i will get back to you .

Donna
August 18, 2011 02:01PM

On K.A. Ford's birth certificate (Fingal, Tasmania 1873) it is stated that her parents are Henry Ford and Rose Ford (Madden).

On her marriage certificate (Melrose South Australia) her father is listed as Henry Thomas Ford. Can anyone help with this issue of her parents? I have the feeling that Kathleen Avivian was born out of wedlock and that Henry Thomas Ford, her father was actually Henry Thomas Ford (1843/44-? and Rose Madden or some other woman?)

It would be appreciated if this issue could be sorted out.

Joanne Fletcher

Joanne Fletcher
August 27, 2011 09:20PM

Just starting out on my family tree, my grandpa jack(John) was born in Glasgow, had a brother James Patrick michael madden(jimmy) and a sister Sylvia, grandpas dad was from Ireland & mother from Scotland, my family all live around thornaby-ontees. Uncle jimmymoved to Eastbourne, I've just Found out he died there in 2007. Any relatives out there? My fathers called John, his sisters Lizzy and deb if that helps? Pollylouisemadden@yahoo.co.uk

Polly -louise madden
September 3, 2011 04:28AM

Hi Jackie,my grandads name was Bernard Cox Madden from Dundee who i believe may have been your dad if you wish to get in touch for more information my email address is donnaeds@live.co.uk

Donna nee Madden
September 6, 2011 02:59PM

Hi Jackie,my grandads name was Bernard Cox Madden from Dundee who i believe may have been your dad if you wish to get in touch for more information my email address is donnaeds@live.co.uk

Donna nee Madden
September 6, 2011 03:02PM

Hi Jackie,my grandads name was Bernard Cox Madden from Dundee who i believe may have been your dad if you wish to get in touch for more information my email address is donnaeds@live.co.uk.

Donna nee Madden
September 6, 2011 03:03PM

I'm starting a family tree and all i know is that my grandfather is called Antony Madden(born 1949) and comes from Tottenham,England he has two sibilings Peter Edward madden (born 1945) and Linda Joyce Stclair(nee Madden born 1942). His Father is called William Henry Edward Madden (born 1916) and his mother is called Irene madden(nee Maud). If anybody has some information please email me
graciemadden@hotmail.com

Grace Madden
September 9, 2011 03:08AM

Seeking additional information on Daniel Madden b Abt 1810 Ireland, d. 19 Oct 1900, Deansboro,Oneida Co., NY m Mary Kennedy b. Abt 1822, Ireland d. 13 Nov. 1900, Deansboro, Oneida, NY

Daughter Bridget Madden b abt 1847, Ireland, d 9 Nov 1903, Utica, Oneida, NY m John Lovell b. abt 1832, Manchester NY d 21 May 1900, Oneida, NY

mlX
September 13, 2011 11:25AM

Hi Im Madden from Cork!! I cant offer anymore to the topic cause people have it right with the Galway connection and the Wolf!!! I just wanted to say hi to the people here who I obviously have a connection with!! My total name is Sean Seamus O'Maidin!!! No comas!!! I go by my middle name like the rest of my family for some reason!! Anybody have any idea?

James
September 15, 2011 07:03PM

My name is Michael John Madden, I need to find my father's family and see if they know anything about the death of my father the Late John William Madden born either 1953 or 1951 of Australia who I last was told was living in Victoria. I only just found out today that he had died back on the 16th February 2011 and Centrelink had just informed me today. All I know is that he was married to Marie Thelma Winterburn born in 1941 and had passed in 1990, that there where three children born, thou one deceased when very young of age. If anyone can give me some information about him could they please email me at michaelmadden09@yahoo.com.au thank you and this would be much appreciated.

Michael
September 23, 2011 09:52AM

Hi I am trying to trace my family and I would like to know how far our family goes back

Michael Madden
September 26, 2011 06:01PM

Lots of Maddens down into Limerick and Cork, even up into Birmingham and Rochdale area.Michael John Madden and Owney P.Madden.

mcdade
September 26, 2011 06:07PM

hi my name is Joan madden born on the 14.6.1958. my fathers name is Edward Patrick madden passed away 12 years ago. he had a brother James known a Jimmy and a sister Margaret who moved to Australia. i to have problems finding information. as a young child i had uncle called John and Edward always called in for parties.we resised at 62 Manor Road Mancetter Nr Atherstone Warks Engalnd. if you know or manybe this peron please get in touch . the only other bit i remember is he had 7 boys never had the chance to meet please help in my search

joan
October 20, 2011 02:47AM

Looking for any information on Joseph, Hugh and William Madden born 1862, 69,72 in Rutherglen Glasgow their father originated in Ireland and I think it was around Roscommon area.
I am also looking for any information on a Kathleen Bernadette Madden who was born in Ireland however was in staying in Glasgow in 1951, any info would be helpful. Thanks

Joan
October 22, 2011 10:48AM

Hi Joanne, my line is peter who was rose's brother, all i know about rose is she married Henry Ford in 1863 and i only know of thomas born, 1864/james born 1865/henry born 1867 and alfred born 1870 and she died in victoria at only 29 years in 1876.I do know daniel another of her brothers left tassie and went to victoria so she probably went to him, your relative would barely fit in the time line, if you knew the date she left tas. it would help, i'll try and find out.

irene
October 23, 2011 08:49AM

Hi, Would be interested in hearing from David Madden who posted his message back in March 2009 in contacting me. His Maddens have lived around london, Lambeth and some of my Madden ancestors are from the same area. I think we may have some links. My email address is Celeste-lee73@hotmail.com Thanks Celeste Madden - Australia

Celeste Madden
November 10, 2011 05:54PM

Looking for any information regarding my GGD Jack Fred Madden. He was posted to Zambia during the second world war and he got married married to my GGM called Elizabeth.No details of his date of birth but just know he had a son called Jack (Died in Chipata-Zambia after suffering from dementia) and daughter Mary and another sister. It is also believed that GGD migrated to malawi and has family there...Anyone out there who might have any information..

Ives

Ives
November 14, 2011 12:00PM

Looking for information about Jack Fred Madden. Not sure of his date of birth or death. This is collateral information from my dad. Jack Was posted to Zambia during/after the second world war and after the second world. He married my GGM called Elizabeth Zulu and in tern had three children, Jack ,Mary and another sister. Jack died in Chipata after suffering from demetia. it is beleived that GGD Jack migrated to Malawi and is could have another family there. Anyone with any inforamtion?

Ives
November 14, 2011 12:13PM

Hi.

My grandfather was patrick Madden, Daisy Hill, Castlebar, Mayo Ireland died 1937.
His wife was Norah Madden - Coleman.

Children.

John Madden Liverpool- Birkenhead.

Patrick Madden, Meath.

Michael Madden Moate, Westmeath.

Nora madden - Mills Meath Ireland.

Brigid Madden . Manchester. UK

Mary madden. Manchester UK.

Josephine Madden, Chicago. USA.

Rita Madden, Chicago USA.

Catherine
November 14, 2011 03:54PM

My surname is Madden, so was my mothers,grandfathers ect. We are all from the South of England.

Mads
November 24, 2011 10:43AM

Hello,
My GGG Grandfather was Morgan Madden who was transported as a convict to Australia in 1840 on the King William.
Morgan was the son of John(don't know mother) and came from Old Leighlin/LeighlinbridgeCo. Carlow.Morgan's wife was Mary Delaney but I do not know what happened to her.At the time of his trial the appeal papers stated he was convicted with his son in law and had a wife,son and three daughters.
Morgan was transported to Moreton Bay and received his ticket of leave in 1845 and Certificate of freedom in 1850.
Three of Morgan's children Thomas,Mary and Ellen emigrated to Australia on the Garland in 1851 and joined their father. At that tome Morgan was living with W G(George) Alcock,a local policeman, at Casino(Richmond River), New South Wales.
Another daughter,Elizabeth(Brown), emigrated on the Commodore Perry to join the rest of the family in 1856.She was associated by her son John Brown. John's father is given as William on the shipping records and BDM records but I am unable to trace what happened to him'
Can any body add to any of this story please
regards
Glen Brown

Glen Brown
November 30, 2011 03:37PM

Patrick Madden Sailed to New Zealand on the Huntress in 1864 Patrick was born in Ireland 1841 Tipparay

Patrick Madden Married Kathleen Kiely
Born 1841 Ireland 06/march/1865 Born 1843 Ireland
Died 09/08/1915 Ashburton NZ Died 28/08/1912
Children
Mary Ann Born 22/02/1865
John 07/09/1868
Patrick 15/01/1869
Katherine 24/01/1871
William 03/05/1872
Thomas Edward 28/12/187?
Arthur 04/01/1876
Joseph 31/03/1883
Lucy 24/06/1886

William Madden Married Johanna McCormick
03/05/1872 Born 1874 NZ
Children
Thomas Edward 29/04/1894 Died 02/06/1938
Kathleen May 19/02/1896 16/02/1975
William James 30/12/1897 WWII 21/10/1933
Annie 18/08/1902 08/03/1902
Eileen 21/10/190? 21/01/1930
Ellen 10/08/190?
James Patrick 26/05/1950
Doris Imelda 12/02/1907 10/07/1983
Joseph Phillip 26/05/1908 20/10/1981
John 28/01/1910 11/09/1981
Arthur Scott 04/04/1912 08/05/1987

William James Married Violet Fletcher
30/12/1897 24/07/1902
21/10/1933 25/10/1982
Children
William 12/02/1921 03/08/1988
Dennis Joseph 29/01/1924 16/01/1993
Eileen Myrtle 09/08/1925 08/09/2002
Kathleen Mary 13/07/1928 03/12/1971
Joan Ellen

Wiremu Madden
December 13, 2011 08:05AM

Patrick Madden Sailed to New Zealand on the Huntress in 1864 Patrick was born in Ireland 1841 (Tipparay?)

Patricks father was also Patrick Madden mother unknowen

Any questions email wiremu33@hotmail.com

Patrick Madden
December 13, 2011 08:22AM

I was married (1968 Sydney)to a Leonard George Madden b 1948 his father was Harold Leonard Madden and mother Mavis Elsie Talbot, Leonard was born in Melbourne, but lived for sometime in Launceston Tasmania. He had an aunt ? and cousin Rose or Rosalie who lived in Richmond Melbourne. If this helps anyone, I came accross this site trying to find Leonard.

Marlene
December 17, 2011 10:51PM

I was sent emails from a richard madden, photos showed a house in florida a young lad and richard madden in a uniform, He also said he had a house in the uk[ Maidstone way] Also that he was 56 and retiring soon just wonderd if any of it was true as i believed i was being set up for a scam if any info please give message as you can guess now i am wary of any emails. Also said he worked for the intelligence USA?

richard
December 22, 2011 07:01AM

I was sent emails from a richard madden, photos showed a house in florida a young lad and richard madden in a uniform, He also said he had a house in the uk[ Maidstone way] Also that he was 56 and retiring soon just wonderd if any of it was true as i believed i was being set up for a scam if any info please give message here as you can guess now i am wary of any emails. Also said he worked for the intelligence USA?

richard
December 22, 2011 07:03AM

I was sent emails from a richard madden, photos showed a house in florida a young lad and richard madden in a uniform, He also said he had a house in the uk[ Maidstone way] Also that he was 56 and retiring soon just wonderd if any of it was true as i believed i was being set up for a scam if any info please give message here as you can guess now i am wary of any emails. Also said he worked for the intelligence USA? V in UK

richard
December 22, 2011 07:04AM

I was sent emails from a richard madden, photos showed a house in florida a young lad and richard madden in a uniform, He also said he had a house in the uk[ Maidstone way] Also that he was 56 and retiring soon just wonderd if any of it was true as i believed i was being set up for a scam if any info please give message here as you can guess now i am wary of any emails. Also said he worked for the intelligence USA? Believed the scam was set up in Asia Thanks

richard
December 22, 2011 07:07AM

My grandad john madden (jack) family come from irland and apparntly most of this family moved to the usa thats all i know really. I wounder if i was some how related to john madden NFL but could not find any more information on him.

jake thomas madden
January 6, 2012 12:40PM

hi my name's Chris Madden. i'm twenty years old and was born and raised in the Manchester, UK. i was wondering if anyone had any information on a William Madden who is my granddad whom i have never met. he was originally from Tottenham, England and emigrated to Australia along with his wife (my gran) and his son (my father) around 1966 to the Melbourne area. My father and grandmother voyaged back to the UK approximately ten years later, soon to be followed by my grandfather William, but he never returned. my father has not heard from him since, he has tried to find out what happened to him but to no avail.

i am writing on behalf of my father, who i would say is too proud to want to find out about his estranged father, believing it to be down to my grandfather secretly having another family over there. Therefore i am writing to find out information on him through curiosity of mine as his grandchild, but also for my farther who i believe has a right to know.

Any information on his whereabouts or subsequently any family over in Australia would be much apprieciated. if your father/grandfather/great-grandfather was named William and this story seems to make sense to you, please don't hesitate to contact me @ c.madden8562@student.leedsmet.ac.uk

thank you

christopher madden
January 13, 2012 02:50PM

My name is Michael Madden. I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. My father's name is John Madden. He was born in Balley Porine, County Tipperary, Ireland, Sept.2, 1926. His father, Michael Madden, married Julia Kenneally. Michael Madden had three siblings: John Madden, Patrick Madden, Alice Madden. Apparently my grandfather's brother, John Madden, married Mary Hoale.

My grandparents, Michael Madden and Julia Kenneally, left on May 18, 1930, from Queenstown, County Cork, and landed in Quebec City, May 26, 1930. By train they travelled to Montreal, stayed two days, and then left for Winnipeg, Manitoba, also by train. They stayed in Winnipeg for one month and then went on to Aaron, Saskatchewan.

Any leads are appreciated. Contact me at m2rb87@gmail.com

Thanks.

Michael Madden
January 13, 2012 10:20PM

Hi, My family of MADDEN's all lived in Dublin during the early 19th century. They were a protestant family, most of them were in the weaving trade, although some were barbers. Several migrated to England in the 1840's and 1850's, around the time of the potato famine. Most of them settled in Manchester and Liverpool, a couple later went to Canada.

Would like to hear from anyone who might be related to any of the following names, some quite distinctive; from the period 1800-1900:

James Madden, Dublin
Michael Madden, Dublin
Matthew Madden, Dublin
Robert Alfred Madden, Dublin/Liverpool/Manchester
James Ellis Madden, Dublin/Liverpool/Manchester
William Ellis Madden, Dublin/Manchester
Lodge Madden, Dublin/Liverpool/Northwich
Alfred Lodge Madden, Liverpool
Robert Frankfort Madden, Liverpool
Matthew George Madden, Dublin/Liverpool/Manchester
Albert George Madden, Manchester
Ernest Arthur Madden, Manchester
Hannah Maria Madden (Rottier), Dublin/London/Toronto
Arthur George Madden, Liverpool/Northwich/Quebec

I have carried out extensive research on the Madden family name in Dublin city, and have a lot of information on them from the period 1800-1850. Nearly all of this is protestent, I have very little on catholic Maddens. If anyone requires assistance on tracing protestant Maddens in Dublin I would be more than happy to help.

davidallenmadden@btinternet.com

Thanks for looking and good luck with your own research.

Dave Madden
January 21, 2012 07:16PM

My greatgreat grandfather was Stephen Patrick Collett Madden. His only son was (Henry) Patrick Collett Madden born 1851 ? in Calcutta India. He migrated to New Zealand and married Mary Mannix from Limerick in 1874. They were my fathers grandparents. My father's name was Patrick Collett Daly. He had a brother Stephen so Stephe, Patrick and Collett seem to be family names. Does anyone know where this branch of the Naddens came from?

Justine Goodyer living in Dublin January 2012

Justine Goodyer
January 26, 2012 09:54AM

My g-grandmother came over from corcaigh to London for work in service in early 1900s. The name is popular in the county including a Madden who was a famous lord mayor of the city (after who I was named). He was hugely influential in the formation of GAA before independence. Across the border in Lismore there is a good place to eat and drink called Madden's Bar.

Paul
February 3, 2012 02:20PM

My Father, Richard Michael Madden (Scotland, 1944), (brother George (Vancouver Canada, 4 sisters, Anne Marie, Margaret, Patricia and Therese) Grandfather George Madden and Great Grandfather Michael Madden who emigrated to US was killed in the mines circa 1880s. Our name comes from Galway I believe and family moved to Glasgow, Scotland. I have further information if anyone is linked to these names please email me on shellsymadden@hotmail.com

Michelle
February 7, 2012 08:43AM

Hi Ives

I am one of the grandsons of jimmy jack madden who I believe is one of the sons of jack madden you GGD. My GDs mother was from Malawi. Please email me on y2curt@gmail.com. I would be keen to establish the link. Kind regards

Curtis Madden

Curtis Madden
February 19, 2012 02:31PM

Hi Ives,

I live in chicago now. But originally from Zambia, I am the GGD of Jimmy Jack Madden who was in Malawi.My Grand father Jimmy Jack Madden married my grand mother kitty old in chipata. There is a whole other family in Zambia would be interesting to connect with you.
Please connect with me kezmode@gmail.com

Kerry madden
February 20, 2012 02:12PM

Hi Peter
In 1808 my great, great grandfather Charles Madden was born. He lived in Armagh, Ireland

In 1842 Charles Madden, age 34, arrived in Auckland New Zealand on the ‘Bollina’. He is the only Madden in Auckland listed as a first settler in the ‘Early NZ Settlers J-N, An Alphabetical List of the Founders of the British Colony of New Zealand' book

I have tried tracing him in Armagh, but couldn't find any Maddens there. Is Madden a common name there? Could we be related?

Neville Madden
February 28, 2012 05:34AM

Hi,

Regarding descendents of Bernard Madden, convict, transported to Tasmania.

Have a premium plus site on My Heritage.com. Would like further information on family that remained in Ireland and the descendants to add to my gene tree.

Joanne (joannef@spin.net.au)

Joanne
February 28, 2012 07:03PM

Hi -
I am looking for a Trevor Madden who lived/lives in the Sutton Coldfield/Birmingham U.K. area. He is married to my aunt who is Heather W. Madden. She was born around 1937.
I now live in the U.S. and will be visiting England in a few weeks. Any ideas about how I can find them? I actually have other friends in Sutton Coldfield and will be staying there.
Thanks!
Anita

Anita
March 7, 2012 09:19AM

My GG grandfather John Kenny and his brother and sister emmigrated to Ontario Canada circa 1835.
They married here in Ontario and recorded their parents as Michael Kenny and Honora (Nora) Madden. Family oral history states that the Omeras, Kenny's and Maddens all travelled on the same ship to Canada
contact sage3247@gmail.com for more data and to explore possible linkages

John Kenny
March 7, 2012 01:35PM

marlene, i am also looking for information on leonard george madden b.june 1948.the dates and places seem to match .if you would like further information that i have on leonard. my contact email is blosonpj@hotmail.

judy
March 12, 2012 03:08AM

I am looking for any information on:
Thomas Madden born about 1829 in Ireland - probably Galway county and married Hannah Brewster of Kentucky. I believe his family came to U.S. around 1840's. He and Hannah raised their family in Iowa. There is a possibility his father's name was Bernardi and born 1809.

Vicki
March 14, 2012 09:05PM

Hi, my name is Peter Madden from New Jersey, USA. My father was Dave W. Madden and I believe he had a brother Thomas from the San Diego, CA area. I was born in 1970 and have 3 older siblings, Susan, David, and John. My 2 brothers and I were not given middle names as a part of Madden tradition for the males. (?) If this may strike a bell with anyone, please contact me at: petermadden528@yahoo.com

Pete Madden
March 20, 2012 02:26PM

grandfather came from Ireland and settled in Boston Ma his wife was annie and his name was James and he lived with 2 or 3 brothers they had 3 childern John M.(my father)Annie(Denton)and Cathrine(Coly) My father had 4 sons John J,Paul aand Peter(Twins) And Anthony born 1946,1947,1952. My mother was Minnie Trueman Walker My grandfather and his brothers knew the Sectary Of The Interior and he told them to go west as thats where the country was headed his brothers moved out west but my grandfather was a seafarer and he said what would he do out west,my father also learned to sail ships and he was born August 1899.peter.madden@att.net

Peter L. Madden
March 20, 2012 03:49PM

Hi,
Looking for information on James (Jimmy) Madden, married Kathleen. Death would have been in the 6o's - 8o's. Not entirely sure. He had siblings Mariah, Patrick and probably others. As far as i know, he lived in Glasgow, Scotland and had one son, Thomas (my father)

Any info would be much appreciated.

Kathleen
April 1, 2012 06:46AM

Hi, I am a Madden from Limerick city from Ireland. There is a big family of Maddens that are from here go back generations. Also some left and went to New York if that helps. There was a great article on the Old Limerick Journal this Xmas as in 2012. It was a 8 page article that did the family history as there were and still are prominent in this area. I am sure if you google it you can find it. If you want to ask me any questions, please feel free to contact me at mcmad82@gmail.com.

Good luck in the search

Madden supporter
April 14, 2012 05:47PM

Hi!
My grandfather was Henry Madden, father was Joseph Madden descended from Robert Madden and Catherine Murray. My grandfather came from Londonderry and had 5 x brothers and 3 x sisters.....names: William, Joseph, Mathew, Robert, and Robert, Catherine, Mary, Elizabeth (all born between 1860/70. We live in New Zealand. In our recent families we have a Chris Madden, Anthony Madden, Nicholas, Richard, David, Donald, Gerald, Ben, Sam, Susan, Clara. My father, deceased, was Henry (Harry).

Susan

Susan Elizabeth
April 15, 2012 01:04AM

im a madden from south africa i know we are desended from ireland dublin my GG father was luke victor Madden my granfather father and brother is daniel willem madden any info on south african maddens?

sunette madden
May 2, 2012 01:48PM

I am Jacob Madden US Army, My American family are from Ohio and I'm pretty sure they have a few generations going back to 1890-1920 that are from Ohio. I cant find any info on the Irish side but my Grandfather says we are originally from Ireland. It would be awesome to actually meet people that are blood related...

jaboyduval@gmail.com

Jacob madden
June 6, 2012 12:06PM

Looking for information on Michael Madden born in County Cork, about 1795. Supposedly he was kidnapped and placed on a work ship (Man o'War?). When the ship docked in Canada, he jumped ship and made his way to Vermont. Or so family the lore states. He is buried in the West Bridgewater Cemetery in Killington, VT with his wife Electa and children. He died 11 Apr, 1875. Any help would be appreciated.
Aw3som3Mom@gmail.com

Aw3som3Mom
June 20, 2012 03:00PM

i'm from Belhar CAPE TOWN S.A have four sisters and brother named Shaun Madden

keith
June 23, 2012 06:56AM

I'm looking for anyone who might also be related to my great-grandmother, Susan Madigan. She was born in County Clare, Ireland in 1867 and married James Maher (b 1857, d 1927). She and James lived in Noughaval, Ballymurphy, Kilfenora, Co. Clare. They were shepherds, just south of the Burren. (Other towns on the edge of the Burren include Ballyvaughan, Kinvara, Tubber, Corofin, and Lisdoonvarna.) James and Susan married in about 1897 and had seven children: Mary, Michael, Thomas, James, John, Susan, and Peter. Their son James immigrated to Australia, and their son John immigrated to USA. James and Susan died and were buried in Noughaval; James in 1927, and Susan in 1940. I have plenty of details on James and Susan's descendants from 1900 onwards, but have no details on Susan's ancestry. My guess is that she came from Kilrush, Co. Clare where there were a great many Madigan families in the 19th century.

Erik Maher
July 7, 2012 08:13PM

Two additional tidbits: (1) I spent about two hours searching online at County Clare Library for all instances of Madigan in County Clare in the 1800s and late 1700s. I have dozens of screenshots of every single Madigan from Co. Clare in these records from this time period. I put them in a 1 Mb ZIP file and can send it to anyone with Madigan ancestry in Co. Clare, to save you from re-doing the work that I already did. If interested, contact me here: erikbjarling (at) yahoo.com. (2) Details on Susan Madigan's son James who immigrated to Australia: James Maher b 1902 in Co. Clare. He married Helena Margaret Wilkens (b 1907) on 15 November 1939 in Koroit, Australia. Their children, all of whom were born in Australia: Francis, James, John, Thomas, Paul, Helen, and Peter.

Erik Maher
July 7, 2012 08:33PM

Hi Marlene,
I am looking for information on Leonard George
Madden Born in Melbourne in June 1948.
If you have any informationyou can contact me on
Email;

blosonpj@hotmail.com

judy
July 18, 2012 01:37AM

Hi all
I am looking for any information on or from Maddens living in Cork City
My father was Patrick Joseph Madden born in 1931 in the Barrack Street area of the city
I must have relatives still there in and around the city
Any news would be much welcomed
Many thanks
Tim Madden

email..... timothy.madden50@yahoo.co.uk

Tim Madden
July 18, 2012 02:07PM

Hi, i am in australia, looking for info re maggie maude madden born at forbes (aust) in 1888. Also george madden, railway fettler, married thelma caldwell circa 1910 at molong nsw. Thanks Helen.

Heln
August 25, 2012 08:57PM

Hello,

I am looking for any additional information on:

John Madden Sr
(Birth 1665 Death 1756)

married to Mary Agnus Madden
(Birth/Death unknown)

John and Mary's son, John Madden, Jr

Birth 1685 in Fredwrick County Maryland

Death 1714 in Frederick, Maryland, USA

Christening July 12, 1685 in Dublin Ireland

MARRIED to Katheryn Flanakin on Sept 21, 1707 in Saint Pauls Parish, Kent, Maryland

Does anyone have any more information on John Sr, Mary or John Jr? I know the parentswere from Dublin but my research stops with them and I'd love to keep going back if possible.

Many thanks,
ash madden
macalugirl@yahoo.com

ash
September 4, 2012 06:43PM

I am looking for information about my family surname Madden. My father was called Michael Madden & was born in Rochdale Feb. 1912. He had a brother called Tommy Madden who was married to a woman called Amy (I think she was Welsh) They had one son called Richard & they lived in the Gorton area of Manchester.I don't know a lot regarding my family, but if anyone has any info.I can be contacted on
carlisle.alice@rocketmail,com

Michael
September 20, 2012 12:50PM

I have an uncle peter madden my nana is margeret madden also a katherine madden all brothers and sister dont know peters DOB but my nanas is 11/01/1919 katherine was born 1926 they were born in South Shields north east of england dont know if this has any meaning to anyone i hope so

Sarah merritt
September 24, 2012 02:02PM

Thomas Madden and his wife Helen Moran and their 4 children,James,Sheila,Kathleen and Thomas lived at 453,West 155th St. Manhatten New York when the 1940 census was recorded. Does anyone have any information on this family.The children would now be aged from 75yrs to 80yrs and are 1st cousins of my mother. The census returns states that Thomas and Helen were born in Northern Ireland but this is incorrect.Thomas was born in Ballinanogher,Rapemills,Banagher,Kings County. Please contact me at email..... odhranpatricia@hotmail.com Patricia Horan

tom madden and helen moran
October 4, 2012 04:32PM

Thomas Madden and his wife Helen Moran and their 4 children,James,Sheila,Kathleen and Thomas lived at 453,West 155th St. Manhatten New York when the 1940 census was recorded. Does anyone have any information on this family.The children would now be aged from 75yrs to 80yrs and are 1st cousins of my mother. The census returns states that Thomas and Helen were born in Northern Ireland but this is incorrect.Thomas was born in Ballinanogher,Rapemills,Banagher,Kings County. Please contact me at email..... odhranpatricia@hotmail.com Patricia Horan

tom madden and helen moran
October 4, 2012 04:46PM

hi i am trying to find out who the maddens made it thrue the fammine

sarah
October 16, 2012 02:36PM

My DAD sEAN KILKELLY WAS RAISED BY THE MADDENS IN KINVARA CO GALWAY.My GRANDFATHER WAS TRAGICALLY TAKEN FROM US BEFORE MY DAD WAS BORN AND HE WAS THEN RAISED BY THE MADDENS AND PROUDLY TOOK THEIR NAME UNTIL ADULTHOOD.I thank god for the maddens whom treated my dad with love and affection and all maddens will be remembered by the Kilkelly's in prayers god bless you all.

sean madden(kilkelly)
November 5, 2012 03:59PM

I'm looking for any information that might be available about the birthplace or parents of MICHAEL MADDEN (b. ~1846) or his wife CATHARINE SEARS or SAGAR (b. ~1847). I'm told they were both from County Cork, Ireland. The following information is from the 1880 US Census. It appears that they lived in New Jersey (where their first two children were born) before moving to Ohio. I am looking interested in any information about their immigration to the US.

Michael MADDEN Self M Male W 34 IRE Laborer IRE IRE
Catharine MADDEN Wife M Female W 33 IRE Keeping House IRE IRE
Katie MADDEN Dau S Female W 5 NJ IRE IRE
Anna MADDEN Dau S Female W 4 NJ IRE IRE
James MADDEN Son S Male W 3 OH IRE IRE
Mary MADDEN Dau S Female W 2M OH IRE IRE

Census Place Greenville, Darke, Ohio

Please reply with any information to crozman@wi.rr.com

CROZMAN99
December 2, 2012 07:11PM

Researching the Family of Timothy Madden, born 1802 in Kinsale, Cork, IRE, transported to Autralia in 1827 for 7 yrs, stealing clothes. Received his certificate of freedom 1834 and left Australia on the Eliza 3. He could be my Gr Gr grandfather whom I haved traced back to Bangor, Maine beginning in 1836 when he married Mary Dougherty. With Mary and their children, he then moved to East Boston, Massachusetts in about 1853 where he lived until his death in 1868. Parents' names on his death record are Stephen and Julia Madden.

I am interested in learning about Timothy's life in Ireland prior to his conviction in 1827. His family? Siblings? Birthplace?

Thanks for any leads you may have.

kgerecke@northshore.edu

Kathie Madden Gerecke
January 20, 2013 01:03PM

I am seeking details of John Madden who married Mary Tully in County Galway en early 1800's.

Gerry
February 6, 2013 03:37AM

I have a lot of information about the Maddens of Richmond and West Melbourne (as described on headstone). Many members of the family emigrated to Australia, from Tipperary) in the 19th C.
I am a direct descendant. Common names are John, James, Bridget, Timothy.

They are also connected to the Stauntons from Galway.

meryl_n@ozemail.com.au

Meryl
February 27, 2013 06:54PM

in regard to the post by David madden searching for info on Daniel madden, Lambeth - we traced our family back to Daniel 1840s married eliz houson but could not get any further back - this was from my father peter maddens line. be good to hear if you got in further with this?

sarah madden
March 6, 2013 05:34PM

I once new a good man by the name of Owen Madden, he was a travelling man, originated from County Mayo,but spent many years in the south of England, I believe he also lived in the southern part of Ontario, I think either Sarnia or Windsor.

Radgie Mcdade
March 22, 2013 05:48PM

Looking for where my Madden Family came from in Ireland. Arrived in United States aproximately Late 1850 to 1860. There was William he married a Bridget Driscoll, Michael he Married Anne Driscoll, and a sister who married a Collins. There was also another brother who went to Austrailia.

Bill Madden
April 17, 2013 08:33AM

I am Audrey Madden daughter of Arthur Jenon Madden of Kentucky. My father married Bonnie Jean Collins daughter of Henry Collins of Kentucky. My Brothers were Jenon Ray Madden and Glenn Madden born in Detroit Michigan. Our family is from Dublin.

Audrey
April 17, 2013 11:26AM

I am Audrey Madden daughter of Arthur Jenon Madden of Kentucky. My father married Bonnie Jean Collins daughter of Henry Collins of Kentucky. My Brothers were Jenon Ray Madden and Glenn Madden born in Detroit Michigan. Our family is from Dublin.

Audrey
April 17, 2013 12:58PM

Firstly a message for

mandy
May 4, 2013 01:45PM

Firstly a message for Sandra Brady...you contacted me yeas ago re my dad Peter Roy Madden living in Enfield. I spoke to my Dad back then and he made it quite clear he didn't want anything to do with you, so please stop hounding him.

Other Maddens

My dad is Peter Roy Madden, lives in enfield and as far as I am aware as 5 children and had 3 wives
children are me, Amanda Madden, Peter Madden and Colin Madden, then from his second marriage there is Paul Madden and Ian Madden, from his 3 partnership/marriage is Katherine. However Katherine knows nothing about the rest of us, she is about 25ish now and I found out about her at my nan's funeral.

Dad worked in the print in fleet street. he has 3 brothers, Michael, David and Brian. His Dad was called George, but he divorced my nan when I was very young and do not remember him.

Dad left us when I was young about 5. He has his reasons for disowning all five of us and has missed out greatly on not only us but all his grandchildren he now has.

He did have a partner/wife, Katherine mum, she is a midwife and last time I looked her up she worked at North mid.

thats all about I know really, I wished he could have been a dad to us all however he chose otherwise. There is a saying what comes round goes round and however much he wants to keep his past lives secret it may come home to haunt him one day.

Katherine if you ever read this, you have 4 wonderful half brothers and a half sister who would love to meet you..and deepest apologies for the big shock.

We are the 6 children in total we know about but Dad was obviously a very fertile man in those days and who knows what other siblings we may have.

so Sandra thats our history, leave well alone.

mandy
May 4, 2013 01:54PM

My name is peter madden. I and my twin brother paul were born along with our brothers john (1946) and anthony (1952). Our father was John Merdith Madden (1899) sisters Annie and Cathrine were born in Boston Ma. To James and Annie MaddenMy grandmother and Grandfather came from Ireland. My Grandfather had several brothers and they lived in Ma. My grandfather captained a sailing vessel. He knew a secretery of the interior who told them to move out West as that was were the country was growing.But my Grandfather told him that he was a sailing man and there were no boats in the Middle of the country.

Peter L. Madden
May 9, 2013 11:31PM

Mandy madden

Please contact me catmadden1986@gmail.com

I have just read your message. My name is Catherine peter daughter. I would love to hear from you.

Thanks

catherine madden
May 19, 2013 05:27PM

Hello fellow Maddens

I'm Andy, son of Michael Madden - son of Gerard Madden, I have a younger brother Tim Madden and a younger sister Leena Bennett (nee Madden). I am married to Trish Madden and we have two boys Joe and Tom Madden. We currently live in East Sussex, though I was born in London. I think my branch of the Maddens are 3 generation {Irish} British. My dad says all the Maddens come from Madden in Ireland. Apparently we are of the ancient Ui Maine tribe and are connected with the O'Kellys (royal blood!), we built some of the last castles along the Shannon. I have yet to visit the ancient homeland, the closest I got was Belfast.....You can contact me via facebook under the name of Mad Andy. Daring in the Cause of Virtue!

Andy Madden
June 5, 2013 06:19AM

William Madden born in Ireland made his home in America In Essex County New York Jay New York?

A. Madden
June 6, 2013 09:03PM

okay so im new to this, and want to know more about my family history, i live in new zealand. all i know is that we came to new zeland from aussie from ireland. names are John Henry Madden.

thanks
Reece
PS email me back on facebookreece.madden.12@facebook.com

Reece Madden
July 26, 2013 05:26PM

RE: Where was the above Eugenie Fleuette Nunes born ?
- Donald - January 15, 2010 12:48PM

Eugenie was born in Jamaica c1856, her parents (as best as I can tell) are Raphael (Ralph-Snr) Nunes & Emma Levy of Sephardic origin.
Raphael's sister 'Emily Nunes' married my 1st Cousin (4x rem) Wallace Basan.
The Nunes are a huge family (like Smiths). Would love any more info you may have on her family..

yibadee@iinet.net.au

Brent Hussey
August 19, 2013 08:27PM

I once met a travelling man that went by the name of Jaxy Madden, met him on the pennines. near Todmorden in Yorkshire He was a unique individual. a wayward philosopher with a heart of gold.

mcdade
September 1, 2013 10:13PM

Looking for more info on John Madden bcirca1800 Ireland and his wife Susan Donnelly, their son Daniel b1831 Ireland, resided in Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland in 1851, he and Ellen Burns had one son Daniel b1848 Airdrie, St Margaret's, North Lanarkshire, Scotland. It is believed that he married Ann Malchy, Mary Murphy and Bridget Kenney ? Thanks in advance. Ellen, email; Ancestry_05@msn.com

John Madden and Susan Donnelly
September 6, 2013 02:27AM

Hi Ives,

My Grandfathers name was Jimmy Jack Madden, brother of Jack Fred Madden who I believe is one of the sons of Jack madden, your Great grandfather.

My Great Grandfather Jack Madden was posted to Zambia during the second World War.
I would love to hear from you.
E-mail: zubysweb@yahoo.co.uk

Debbie Reynolds
October 3, 2013 04:52AM

I am looking for information on my 2nd great grandmother, Sarah Madden. Birth 7 Nov 1845 in Ireland Death 27 Jul 1933 in King, Christian, Illinois Immigrated to America between 1860 and 1864,around age 15, came looking for mother, who she never found. Parents possibly Bartholmew and Catherine. Trying to find out area where she was born in Ireland. Married a Sheedy in America.

Thank you in advance,

Lore Apple

Lore
November 11, 2013 01:23AM

Just stumbled upon this site and it's amazing to see where the madden name has travelled far and wide, all over the world.

My name is Joanie Madden and I'm an Irish musician - leader of a traditional music group called Cherish the ladies. My father Joe Madden emigrated from Portumna, in East Galway where there are still lots of Madden's. It's wonderful to hear all your stories, hopefully we'll all meet up some day!

Joanie Madden
November 17, 2013 06:31AM

Update: Madden .John S was born in 1823-1912. born in County Galway, was married to a Bridget Gallagher, born 1838-1912. They Married in 1859, November,Studholm Parish, NB their first daughter was Caroline she is in the 1861 Canadian Census. She married and died in Nova Scotia. Margaret was next , then Mary, Agnes, Augusta, John Louis, Daniel, Olive,Sarah, William, Frank, George, and Sylvester. They had 14 children .

Slyvester married and settled in Detroit.
George...married (2) settled in Oregon
William...married ..settled in Sask.
John Louis married and ran hotels in Sask,Nova Scotia
Augusta married lived inn Mass-Smiths Creek
Daniel.....Married ...Campbellton
Olive.....was everywhere...died in Smiths Creek
Frank.married..ran the Farm ..Smiths Creek
Agnes married died in Lynn Mass
Caroline married in Nova Scotia
Margarette..married....lived in Norton
Mary ...married live near Sussex
Sarah lived with her Brother in Detroit

this is the lite version....my Tree is done.

PCM--absbrakes12345@yahoo.com

John Sylvester Madden
November 26, 2013 11:17PM

My G.grandmother was Catherine Madden married to Joseph Hickey ...Her parents were John Madden and Mary Segrave from County Meath ( or Queen's County as Mary once stated on her census form)

tricia
November 28, 2013 01:08AM

I am looking for information about my family surname Madden. My father was called Michael Madden & was born in Rochdale Feb. 1912. He had a brother called Tommy Madden who was married to a woman called Amy (I think she was Welsh) They had one son called Richard & they lived in the Gorton area of Manchester.I don't know a lot regarding my family, but if anyone has any info.I can be contacted on
alicecarlisle@btinternet.com

Alice

Alice
December 1, 2013 12:43PM

hi im grace madden
from galway

grace madden
December 27, 2013 06:26AM

I am looking for more information about Maddens from Limerick, Ireland. My great-grandfather, John J Madden (b. 6 Jul 1864, Limerick, Limerick,Ireland; d. bef 1940, Queens, NY) married Margaret Mary Meskell (Mescal) (b. 20 Dec 1866 Akeaton, Limerick, Ireland; d. abt 1947, Queens, NY) on 30 Oct 1887 at St. Michael's RC Church in Limerick, Ireland.

They had 13 children (all born in Limerick, Ireland):
- Patrick Joseph (b. 26 Feb 1889; d. 29 Jan 1972, Maryland, USA)
- Mary Anne (May) (b. 20 May 1890; d. Oct 1985, Queens, NY, USA)
- Richard Vitalis (b. 2 Nov 1891; d. bef 1901, Ireland)
- John (Jack) (b. 4 Nov 1892; d. ?, NY, USA)
- Christopher (b. 14 Nov 1894; d. bef 1930, NY, USA)
- Ellen (Olive) (b. 7 Jul 1896; d. Apr 1978, NY, USA)
- Margaret (b. 15 Dec 1897; d. bef 1901, Ireland)
- Esther (b. 17 Mar 1899; d. bef 1918, Ireland)
- Thomas Gerard (b. 21 Mar 1901; d. ? USA)
- James Leo (b. 22 May 1902; d. aft 1940, New York, USA)
- Bertha (Bridget) (b. 5 May 1904; d. bef 1920, Ireland)
- Anne Una (b. 4 Jul 1906; d. 7 May 1991, Suffolk, NY, USA)
- William Antony (b. 26 May 1908; d. Nov 1969, Queens, NY, USA)

The family lived on Windmill St and McNamara Place in Limerick.

John J Madden's parents were Patrick Madden (b. Jun 1842, Limerick, Ireland; d. abt 1909, Ireland) and Margaret Mary Mullins (b. abt 1837, Ireland; d. 12 Feb 1897, Limerick, Ireland). They were married on 22 Sep 1861 in Limerick, Ireland.
Their children were:
- Thomas (b. 1862, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?)
- John (b. 6 Jul 1864, Limerick, Limerick,Ireland; d. bef 1940, Queens, NY, USA)
- Margaret (b. 23 Jun 1867, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?)
- Mary Anne (b. 1870, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?)
- Ellen (b. 1874, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?)
- Patrick (b. 1876, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?)
- James (b. 1880, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?)

Patrick Madden's (b. 1842; d. abt 1909) parents were Thomas Madden (b. abt 7 Dec 1800 (baptism), Limerick, Ireland; d. ?) and Mary Connell (b. abt 1805, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?). They were married in 1825 in Limerick, Ireland. They had 8 children:
- Thomas (b. 1826, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?)
- Sera (b. 1828, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?)
- John (b. 1829, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?)
- Margaret (b. 1831, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?)
- Andrew (b. 1833, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?)
- Michael (b. 1835, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?)
- Mary (b. 1837, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?)
- Patrick (b. 1842, Limerick, Ireland; d. ?)

Thomas Madden's (b. 1800) parents were Michael Madegan and Bridget Kenedy.

I don't have any information prior to 1800.
Any info is appreciated. lwhitehouse@msn.com

Thanks

Lauren
January 3, 2014 03:54AM

Hi everyone am jean Jennifer madden from Zambia.i believe my grandpa came from Ireland but was working in Malawi where he married a Malawian woman and had my dad who was Jimmie jack madden who came to settle in zambia.anyone one who knows the madden who settled in Malawi?would like to get to know our family tree.

Thanks jean j madden.

Jean madden
January 5, 2014 12:10AM

Madden, English, Alice, Carey, Hurley last names In Jay, New York Essex County?

A. Madden
January 14, 2014 02:24PM

Hello
My family came to Canada in 1823 on the ship the Stakesby. They left Cork in July,1823. Thomas Madden (b.1784)and Ellen Danahy (b.1791) brought their 4 children (John, Mary, Jeremiah and Thomas Jr.) Thomas and Ellen are my G.G.G.Grandparents. Their son John married Julia O'Brien whose family also came on the same ship. They are my G.G.Grandparents. We still have the family land that was granted to Thomas and Ellen in Ontario, Canada. The 7th generation is now farming that same land! We cannot find any earlier information for Thomas and Ellen prior to their departure from Cork and would love any if possible.
It's wonderful to communicate with Maddens from all around the world!
Cheers
Sheri Madden, Ontario Canada.

Sheri
January 30, 2014 08:03PM

Hello
My family came to Canada in 1823 on the ship the Stakesby. They left Cork in July,1823. Thomas Madden (b.1784)and Ellen Danahy (b.1791) brought their 4 children (John, Mary, Jeremiah and Thomas Jr.) Thomas and Ellen are my G.G.G.Grandparents. Their son John married Julia O'Brien whose family also came on the same ship. They are my G.G.Grandparents. We still have the family land that was granted to Thomas and Ellen in Ontario, Canada. The 7th generation is now farming that same land! We cannot find any earlier information for Thomas and Ellen prior to their departure from Cork and would love any if possible.
It's wonderful to communicate with Maddens from all around the world!
Cheers
Sheri Madden, Ontario Canada.

Sheri
January 30, 2014 08:05PM

Update : Madden's Flats Madden arrived in 1843, Waterford-Studholm Parish, Kings County, New Brunswick, Canada. William -1786-1851....born in County Galway,Ireland ,Father Daniel ,Mother Ellen O'Donnell. Ellen Donlan was his wife,(1786-1888) they arrived with four children, Daniel J born in 1822, Patrick M 1826,John S.1832,Bridget 1836. You can find this family in the 1851 Canadian Census. Daniel Malden in this census is Daniel Madden. The land grants, were 100 acres each, which became a lumber mill, then a Mink farm. Patrick & Ann left the area, lived in Irishtown,(Westmoreland County) NB, then moved to the state of Iowa.(Hornick) 1870.Daniel & Mary left and west to the state Iowa.(Johnson-Plymouth) John S 1832-1912 married into the Gallagher Ridge, Gallagher's in Nov 1859,to Bridget 1838-1912, first child was in 1860 the last 1886. moved to Smiths Creek. You can Find John and Patrick's family in the Canadian 1871 Census. Studholm Parish, kings county, New Brunswick ,Canada. The Second generations are spread over North America, Iowa, Ohio, Oregon, Michigan, Mass, New Hampshire, Maine ,Alberta, Sask,New Brunswick, Nova Scotia. The Third generation, I've found are in Europe, Asia and New Zealand. Madden's Flats is a parcel of the land where these Madden's cleared and started a new life. Later it was Seeley Mills then Waterford, because of all of the Irish Immigrants. PS ..looking for a Doris Marie Madden--born in Gadsby Alberta in 1918,lived in Detroit, and Lynn Mass, father Sylvester B Madden -Mother - Isabella Mary Margaret MacDonald --and - her sister Isabel Elizabeth Madden..b1815, .

Thanks

P . Madden
February 7, 2014 07:59PM

Hi! My namne is Christine and Im searching for My grandfather George Alexander Madden. He had a son(My dad) in 1948 in London, England. Accordning to My grandmother he left for Canada. He then returned to se my dad when he was an adult but My dad didn't Walt anything to do with him so he left nerver to be heard from again.. My dad died in 1987 and Im curious to find out if he might havet brothers and sisters out there somewhere. If anyone knows anything pelare email email me on c.j.hemington@gmail.com

Christine
February 20, 2014 06:34AM

Hi All,
I'm from a quite large family of Maddens in Swords, Co.Dublin. If I can help anyone with their search for information I'd be more than happy to.Just post a message on this site and I'll get back to you. There a more of us than I thought!!
Liz

Liz
February 24, 2014 07:10AM

Would like to find my ancestors and their offspring. My GF Joseph Patrick Manning b. 17 March 1893 around Galway. Was in her majesty's Calvary then emigrated to Boston, MA., where he worked as a truck builder. Brother of Anna Madden of Lexington, MA. Married Jane Elizabeth (Jenny) Mattews). Any info on Irish connection/relatives would be much appreciated.

Bill Herbert
March 23, 2014 10:30PM

My grandfather Bernard James Madden b. 1891 in Cape Town, married twice, at least 2 children from first marriage (a including daughter called Nancy), second marriage to Marjory Thompson, son Michael James b. 1933. All I know apparently is that 2 brothers shipped as convicts for grazing sheep on the commonage, to Australia. One brother escaped at Cape Town and this was my grandfathers father/grandfather. The other brother went on to Australia. Does anyone have any information on this branch of the Madden family?

Gail Madden
March 25, 2014 02:43AM

Madden family in Jay New York Essex County had many brothers one may have died in the Civil War and left small children that were taken on an orphan train West? Kansas or Ohio?

A. Madden
March 26, 2014 06:25PM

Madden family in Jay New York Essex County had many brothers one may have died in the Civil War and left small children that were taken on an orphan train West? Kansas or Ohio?

A. Madden
March 26, 2014 06:27PM

There are Madden's in New Zealand too!

Susan
March 31, 2014 12:01AM

Name:  (Or nickname)
Subject: (Required)
Anti-Spam: What colour is an orange?

Company Support Download Pricing Product Home