See topic list or Ask a question

Scotch Irish Surnames???

Need to find out if the surnames Darby,Lynch,Elmore,Lewis,Barlow,Beesley,Kelley,Jackson,Hammonds,Hooks are Scots or Scotch-Irish?

RebDad
October 11, 2007 03:41PM

And the name Barneycastle aswell.

RebDad
October 11, 2007 03:51PM

Hi, I am looking for any information on the name O'Coney. The only reference I have found was in a library in Moultrie Georgia. "Oconey - a bastard Irish clan attached to the Scots" was all it said.

Any help will be appreciated. My email is rocwalker1@yahoo.com.

Many thanks,

Oconey
October 20, 2007 06:16PM

will also like to know the origin of the surname

Hammonds.

jojo
November 10, 2007 03:57PM

I am looking for history of Royce family.

royce
January 18, 2008 07:36PM

THE SURNAME "YOUNG" CAN IT BE TRACED BACK TO A SPECIFIC COUNTRY OF ORIGIN? COULD IT BE SCOTCH-IRISH, SCOTTISH, ENGLISH, OR EVEN WHELSH?

WHITEY
February 24, 2008 11:32AM

My last name is ESTES, is it Scotch Irish?

Dave
May 15, 2008 01:56PM

Lynch is from Co. Galway and the origin of the term "Lynching" from the Galway Mayor who's son killed a man and the courts found him guilty. No one would hang the Mayor's son. One day he called for his son to be brought to his castle and he hung his own son from the second floor window of his den. The wall with the window still stands in downtown Galway, Co. Galway, Ireland.

Lewis is altered for English speakers. I had an uncle whose parents were German immigrants. Therefore, I doubt that Lewis is Irish.

Doc
June 10, 2008 03:22PM

I am looking for the name of mcquoid,the history of.

mcquoid
July 18, 2008 05:18AM

is the last Sandlin Scotch Irish. Please let me know. email csandlin@ssconstructors.biz

chris
March 8, 2009 08:14PM

cant find any record in Irish or sottish history help

Mc Lane
June 18, 2009 05:21PM

Looking for:
Moore
Kerns
Pickerell
Hill
Barker

These are some grandparents surnames and I would like to get a better understanding of their origins.

kendy
July 1, 2009 06:38PM

I'm wondering if the surname BLACK is Scots-Irish

Contact me at j.r.whiteley@cox.net

Thank you

Jwhiteley
August 13, 2009 09:45PM

What does MacGyver mean in it's origanl language?

MacGyver
August 21, 2009 09:02PM

Lynch is accepted as Irish(O Loingseach) but there's also a Lynch of Norman origin (de Lench) so to be sure of your origin you'd have to go right into your own particular family tree,though it's safe to say you're of Irish descent.

There's not really a "Scots-Irish" surname per-se,names are either Scottish or Irish except with certain names that occur in both countries like McCabe,McFadden,Murray for example.

Kelley is Irish,it's just an unusual spelling of Kelly (O Ceallaigh)
Black is also one of those names that is found in both Ireland & Scotland,as a Scottish name it's connected with the Clans Lamont,McGregor & McLean but as an Irish name it's a translation of Duff & Kilduff.
Lewis is a Welsh name.McQuoid is probably a form of McQuaid it's form the North of Ireland originally.
Estes sounds Spanish.
Coney(s) is found in Ireland both as an English name of Cromwellian origin and as an Irish name as a form of Cooney.I've never seen it as O'Coney though,perhaps that was added in order to distinguish it from the English Coney.
Darby is English, originally,though it's been in Ireland since the 16th century.

If you have an Irish surname of course,it is perfectly acceptable to add an O if originally had one which was dropped from the name at a time when Ireland was under English rule.

Steve L
September 20, 2009 09:12AM

Cyphers or Syphers
September 30, 2009 09:13AM

My father and grandfather were always proud of being Scots Irish. My g-g-g-g-grandfather was from somewhere in Maryland colony and born in 1746. Came from Northern Ireland....unsure who his father was.

Are there any clan listings or did the English maintain names of the Scotish settlers in the Ulster Plantation project?

Are there any ship records of any consequence of Ulster Scots coming to the American Colonies? Or court records?

- Searching for my Clan Hay -

Sincerely,
mrgoodnews@comcast.net

Armand Hayes
December 13, 2009 09:12PM

Is Kinikin a Scotch or Irish Name?

pdfirst65@yahoo.com

Kinikin
January 16, 2010 05:03PM

There are no "Scotch-Irish" surnames, as such. The Ulster Plantation was settled by Lowland Scots and English settlers, with some Welsh, German, Flemish and French Protestants mixed in just to confuse things. Among Scotch-Irish settlers in 18th century America, for instance, the surname Crocket was originally French, Reed was English, and Mitchell was Scottish. Most Scotch-Irish names are Scottish or English, and some are very occasionally native Irish names like Murphy or Kelly. Black, Brown, Lewis, Jackson, Moore, Hall, McFarland, McKenzie, Stewart, Graham, Nixon, Storey, and others are found in the American Scotch-Irish, but surname alone will not tell you if people with these names came from Ulster. The names originated elsewhere. If they followed the "typical" Scotch-Irish migration route from Philadelphia through the Shenandoah Valley into the Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky, and further west, then they are "probably" Scotch-Irish. You really need to trace their migration route to begin to guess if they came from Ulster.

Mark
January 29, 2010 10:08PM

I know Ross is Soctch (my GGGGrandpa was born in Iverness,Scotland) I don't know why my letter l is like this??!)That's on my mom's side and his wife they say, was Irish...I don't know her last name..My Dad's is Combs(Irish or English?) My Dad's family have been here since..1700's ..could they be Scots/Irish..I think they came in N.Carolina and ended up in the Ozarks..then they moved to Oklahoma.

leilani
April 24, 2010 04:37AM

Looking for Usrey or Ussrey

Chuck
April 24, 2010 09:51AM

Is Brumsey a Scotch Irish name? I've been told they came to North Carolina thru Ireland.Thanks. BJ

Betty Brumsey Wood
April 24, 2010 05:43PM

I know that Lennox is Scottish but once I was told my ancestry was Scotch Irish. Could this be true or am I Scottish through and through?

Trudy Lenox Myers
May 16, 2010 07:10PM

We've been told the surname Hanna comes from Ulster and that they were thrown out of Scotland for playing both sides of the border. Anyone?

Babs
July 12, 2010 05:15PM

I'm trying to trace my ancestors who took upon themselves the Surname of Black. We think they were formerly of the surname of MacGreggor. Anyone to help understand this?

Thanks

Black
July 29, 2010 09:42AM

Is McIlnay a Scots Irish surname?

McIlnay
August 19, 2010 02:26PM

My McKee line migrated to America in the 1820's from Northern Ireland. They came from either Down or Antrim County. They were protestant. Were they Scotch/Irish? Where did the name McKee originate from?

Janet P

McKee
August 23, 2010 11:26AM

Looking for anything on Lawrence McLouth born in Ireland but his father was born in Scotland
father is Lawrence Perry McClouth

Mary Vohland
August 23, 2010 12:30PM

I have an ancestor who came, I am pretty sure, from Scotland to Wilmington, NC, in the late 18th century. His name was Nathaniel McGufford. I've had no luck at all tracing the "McGufford" surname--can anyone help me?

I also have an ancestor whose maiden name was Mary O'Dyer, daughter of Dennis O'Dyer. Would this name be Irish, Scottish, or possibly even English?

I would be so grateful for any help!

Southernbelle
September 7, 2010 05:12AM

A variety of names are both Irish and Scottish. Some Irish names Anglicised like Harrington are Irish but seem English. Ross is also an Irish name, as is O Dwyer, also scotch Irish names today in ulster can be originated from the Irish names, as the protestants and catholic intermarriage to some extent would make Catholics with English names, and English with catholic names. Brumsey is a English name in origin but would have also found its way to lowland Scotland.
also due to Irish migration to Scotland people who believe themselves to be Scots Irish in origin are in fact not, but of Scottish Irish descent as Scots Irish is the same of ulster Irish and is used to differentiate between the Irish of ulster and the Protestant people of mostly exclusive Scottish and English descent, as at the time it was not acceptable to be an Irish catholic, as these were on many documented occasions treated worse than slaves, and as the Scots Irish were from a religiously more acceptable back round and as descended from English and low land Scots which was essentially English as well, they were genetically more socially acceptable to the protestant climate, and many Scots Irish were part of the slave owners and seen themselves as racially superior to the rest of the island as Scots Irish, English and Scottish in descent.

Kehoe
September 10, 2010 08:55PM

i have two gggrand parents who i have traced to kentucky where they were working on the railwway,both came from belfast, county antrim,northen ireland.their names and ages in 1880 census.patrick woods 52'and james mcmullen 50.are these names still in kentucky?.my name is james mcmullen'

jaydhu
September 28, 2010 06:43PM

What is McNeely? My father says it is Scots-Irish but I have heard it is just Irish. Please contact me if you have found any information. Thank you.

art_freak009@hotmail.com

Amanda
November 5, 2010 06:08PM

Trying to see if my Scotch-Irish Ancestors, Gass were in the Protestant Plantation of 1600.

Our known ancestor was Samuel Gass b 1764 County Down,Ireland. Would like to know his parents names and dates. They were said to be from Dumfries Annondale Scotland. Can find no connections.

gassc@bellsouth.net

Linda
January 23, 2011 07:39PM

My grandmother always said we were Scots-Irish. My ancestors settled in North Carolina as far back as I can trace to the late 1700's. Surnames are:

Moore
Pollard

Wondering what you could tell me about either one.

Thanks!

cmoore018@nc.rr.com

CMoore
February 28, 2011 07:43PM

I was wondering whether my ancestors were Catholic Irish or Protestant Irish. Is there a way to find out? Thank you.

Robin (McMullen) Scott

McMullen
March 17, 2011 11:38AM

Was the name Burgess of Scots-Irish origin?

al
March 18, 2011 07:05PM

Most Scots-Irish & "Irish" who settled in the US South were Ulster Protestants and not Irish-Catholics. And most Scots-Irish had origins in Scotland,some of course were of English or French ancestry as mentioned. I would suggest looking up books on Scottish surnames at the Library, for those who believe they are of Scots-Irish decent and are Protestant in background. A lot of southerners think they are Irish, but if your ancestors were not Catholic, they were most likely Scots-Irish and not Irish.

FreeThinker
March 19, 2011 02:07PM

For a good idea. Look up lowland scottish clan names. This list would not be exhaustive, but would clear up a few matters. Also try entering your sjurname into the British phonebook and enter Northern Ireland as your location and see how many matches you get. [www.thephonebook.bt.com]

Rick
March 23, 2011 04:09AM

My Grandfather John Henry Caldwell said we were Scots-Irish. I have found that my Caldwell family came to Philidephia to Va to SC, Ga to MS where I am today. They were protestants. His grandmother's name was Ellen Burgess Hughes Caldwell born in Ga about 1811, grandfather William Thomas Caldwell born in Ga 1801
Some say Caldwell is Scottish name others English?
annelletalor@yahoo.com

Annelle
March 25, 2011 11:50AM

My Grandfather John Henry Caldwell said we were Scots-Irish. I have found that my Caldwell family came to Philidephia to Va to SC, Ga to MS where I am today. They were protestants. His grandmother's name was Ellen Burgess Hughes Caldwell born in Ga about 1811, grandfather William Thomas Caldwell born in Ga 1801
Some say Caldwell is Scottish name others English?
annelletalor@yahoo.com

Annelle
March 25, 2011 11:54AM

Researching my William Cathcart family who came to the US abt 1828-1832 from Donegal.They may have been Scotch/Irish

Jim

cathcart
April 7, 2011 09:10AM

I can trace my family back to Ulster Ireland - Gortin to be specific - my 9th great-grandfather was born in Gortin - John Nickell - can you confirm that this is a Scotch Irish surname?

joycenickelly
April 10, 2011 09:27PM

My mother's maiden name was McKernan (family from County Cavan in Ulster). Is McKernan Irish or Scots-Irish?

Tom Fagan
April 15, 2011 09:31AM

Is Howard an English name?

howard
April 21, 2011 10:42PM

It's been quite a shock to my mother's side of the family to find out that our supposed "Scottish" ancestors ALL came originally from Ireland. I am having a difficult time tracing them back to Ireland, though.

The Rae,Matson, McGee and Peffer (Pepper) family marriages in the mid-1800's were all in the Free Church of Scotland.

I looked in the current Northern Ireland phone listings, and there are decent amounts of these names there now.

That might mean they were Scotch-Irish?

But all the men were miners in the Glasgow area, traditionally a Catholic Irish occupation, from what I read?

Help, anyone?
Rebecca

rebecca Lynch
April 28, 2011 07:45AM

Typical Scotch-Irish surnames are Craig, McLaughlin, McKay/McKee, McDowell, McConnell, McDonald, MacDonald, Clark, McMillar,Wilson, Hughes, McDougall, and Lennox. The Scotch-Irish settled largely in Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, and Arkansas. They then moved west. I am Scotch-Irish, and my family actually emigrated in 1750 from County Antrim to Kentucky. Some famous Scotch-Irish Americans are Elvis Presley, Andrew Jackson, Davy Crockett, Sam Houston, Woodrow Wilson, Chester A. Arthur, Andrew Johnson, James Knox Polk, and George S. Patton.

K.D.C.
May 10, 2011 07:27PM

the bbc did a program on the narrow sea, scotland /northern island: bbc/ulster Its 1500 years of what is between the two countries

alex mcallister
June 4, 2011 07:00AM

Trying to trace my MILLIGAN line back from my
grt-grdfather - "Lewis N. Milligan", who was b. in Ga. 1850 (place unknown) I've had my DNA traced back to the ULSTER area of Ireland done. His mothers name was "FRANCES' b. SC. 1822... listed in the 1860 Al. census 10 yrs. old.
e_milligan12@yahoo.com

MILLIGAN
June 10, 2011 01:10PM

I was told this Great-grandmother's sur-name was scots-irish. Is this true?

Pettway
June 30, 2011 09:35PM

Is the name Mitchell particularly orange or green when coming from Belfast?

Slightly concerned about a future visit during the current events

Jako
July 12, 2011 05:53PM

On my ancestry.com trial, I saw thesurname Callihan(I think that's how it's spelled) on some one's family tree and it might be part of mine.

Is this last name Scottish or Scots-Irish or what???
If you find out contact me at dawn@grandrealtygroup.com!

Frankie
July 18, 2011 07:22AM

Is the name Robinson a Scotch-Irish name? I'm having a hard time tracing this one back. Some say that Robinson actually is a sept of the Scottish Clan Gunn, which was partially Norse. That would mean that Robinson is not Ulster Scott at all right?

Jprobinson
September 5, 2011 11:49PM

My Paternal side-father's side is Lynch from Ireland,unknown where. just by name. Dad from Eastern NC. mixed w/ the Blackfoot Indians.
his father 1/2 Indian, his mother full Indian,
told came over on ships directly from Ireland to NC.

My greatgrandmother on my maternal side - mother's side is an O'Rourke.I know she is from Northern Ireland.she married am Englishman Hawkes who Fought in Boar war in Africa, came from Canada to Ohio to Va.
I have seen Lynch's from Ireland and it really is unique to see people who look like yourself.
They most definetly are my relatives, blonde, blue eyes and same cheek bones. feel like I am looking at my cousins. thanks dad for the name Lynch.
It's nice to know we have a special past, even if it was someone else's life In Ireland.
I will take a trip to Ireland hope to be recognized and asked what my name is. It will be fun ~!
thanks for reading my small story.

Kathy Leigh Lynch

Kathy Lynch
October 11, 2011 09:39AM

What can you tell me about the last names of Leach, McClure, Wilson, Walker, Lewis, Hill.

MMatt30
October 31, 2011 09:42PM

My Scots-Irish and English paternal ancestors were named Woods,White, and Williams. They settled in Virgina after landing further up on the east coast, then migrated to Tennessee.

I've heard that the surname, Wood, is English and Woods is Scottish. Is there any truth in that?

Lorrie
November 1, 2011 01:41PM

looking for Robert George Poe b. 1853, left Tennessee w/younger brother during Civil War migrated to Louisiana. Was told by an uncle he was a large "scots-irishman" with a thick accent, definitively protestant. I suspect he may have changed his surname when he left Tennessee due to the disrepect many Irish were subjected to. Is there a list of the southern highlanders in Tennessee about 1850 that I could research to find a possible match?

Poe
November 19, 2011 09:30AM

My my grandfather said that his father's family, McDaniel, was Scotch-Irish. They were prostestant from Chester County, South Carolina. His mother was a Mitchell which is Scotch-Irish, I understand. Thank you. Jean Henderson

McDaniel
November 27, 2011 01:24PM

Check out this informative Scots-Irish web site... It's got loads of resources to find out all about the Scots-Irish & planters in Ireland including videos, music & photos and links to names & Genealogy sites...

[www.forgedinulster.com]

Scots-Irish
December 29, 2011 09:40AM

My last name is Black and I'm from Georgia. I wanna know if I'm Irish or what else? My mother's maiden name is Davis(so she was raised) but we believe we her dad was really a Johnson. Here are my grandparents maiden names Bragg, Copeland,Hallman, Phillips, Bolton, sassers, and Hendricks.

Please email me rach9306@yahoo.com
Thank you

Rachel
December 29, 2011 11:04AM

All of the information I have found refers to my ancestor, John Man, in 1735 in Colonial Virginia as being of Scot-Irish ancestry. He was purportedly recently immigrated from Ireland and England for the purpose of claiming land. My research on the Ulster Plantation Colonization refers to the relocation of Scots. I was once told by an Ulster researcher that all of the Man(n) families he had researched had come from Wales. There was a family tradition that our family originated in Wales. Can anyone help me out on this - which is it?

Eddie
February 15, 2012 02:41PM

Is McCracken a scot-irish name?? rugorose@verizon.net

McCracken
April 5, 2012 02:44PM

Hey guys, just got a question. My grandfather was scots-irish, and I was wondering if 'Patchin' sounds like a scots-irish surname. Thanks.

Patchin
August 25, 2012 08:34PM

Howard Rock my 5thGP. came from Antrim Kilwaughter,
Ireland in 1772, The Rock name migrated from france to germany to england, to wales, to Scotland to Ireland, and finaly to South carolina, USA. How do i
know what nationality it is?

howardrock732@yahoo.com

Rock
November 1, 2012 05:19PM

I am Charles Edward Miller and I live in Chesapeake, Virginia. My father was from Bertie County, North Carolina and the grandson of Charles Edward Cowan. The Cowan were Scotch-Irish and from County Down in Northern Ireland. I am a second cousin once removed from Ralph Wolfe Cowan, who is an internationally known artist. You will find him on the internet. My ancestor, Jonathan Miller/Millar, spelt his last name with an "er" and an "ar." That would indicate his Scottish background. He was a Macfarlane and proud of it. He settled in Bertie County in 1734. He may be connected with NC Governor Thomas Miller, who was Scotch-Irish and from Ireland. There were German Muellers in New Bern, NC; however, I cannot find any connection to them. Due to the spelling of Miller/Millar, I must agree that we come originally from Scotland. Miller is a very popular name in every part of North Carolina.

Charles E. Miller, Jr., BA, Old Dominion University, MA in Religion, Liberty University

Charles Miller, BA, MA
October 23, 2013 03:36PM

Does anyone have information about the border name Forrester? I have read that they were affiliated with the Armstrong Clan, but the family stories are that on my mother's (Forrester) side we are Scots-Irish and immigrated to Pennsylvania, which seems to fit.

Of course, Elliott (most commonly spelled "Elliot") is a border reiver clan of fierce warriors and horse people - I've heard that they fought closely with Robert the Bruce as his cavalry.

It would be amazing to know that my ancestors on both sides were from the border areas of Scotland.

Ms. Elliott
November 9, 2013 01:13AM

Looking for information on this family name...my great grandfather but add about 2 or3 greats in there..

William Wallace McDowell
January 29, 2014 10:53AM

WOODY! Where are the original WOODY'S FROM? I cant seem to find the origin of my maiden name Woody. I have done extensive search and family tree building. I have some 300 people on it, some goes back to the 1100's. Is Woody Irish, or Scottish? or scots-irish??? I even looked through the "Woody Project" and still no straight location, immigration or dropped letters. Help, I lost my identity of Woody and cant find it original origin. Thank you so much for the help and advice. smiling smiley

Kelly kay
August 13, 2014 01:34PM

Just wondering about the surname McNary or some variation is Scotch-Irish. Do you think they are from the Ulster area?

Gayle
September 8, 2014 03:54PM

I had my DNA analysis and it shows my ancestry is primarily from Britain (including Scotland and Wales I presume) This is a surprise as I always thought of myself as Irish.(Ryan, Grady, Meely, Healy). All came from Roscommon or Galway around 1850 and settled in Wisconsin. Is it possible that my ancestors were descended from Scotch or English who settled in Ireland before coming to America?

Connie
October 18, 2014 01:58AM

Name:  (Or nickname)
Subject: (Required)
Anti-Spam: What colour is an orange?

Company Support Download Pricing Product Home